How big of a deal is it that the rMB is fanless?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDFierro, Apr 14, 2015.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Everyone seems to be talking about the performance (or lack thereof), the solo port, etc. But what about the new MacBook's advantages? Such as it being fanless?

I never particularly wanted a fanless laptop. Well, I never thought about it. I figured that was something only tablets could get away with. But now I'm thinking about how much of an advantage it is. Granted, my 13" rMBP only has one fan (the 15" has two) and I don't hear it all the time, but it does kick in. The fan on the Air, though, I remember kicking in quite frequently.

Someone on here described the rMB as a "traveler's dream". It could also be a writer's dream laptop. No fan helps with that...it's just incredibly silent. Most of what I do is web-based, and I am a writer, so I write a lot. And if the keyboard is as good as some of you are saying, then this will be the perfect laptop for me. All in all, the rMB seems to be a machine that just lets you get your work done and forget you're using a laptop.

Apple did have to make sacrifices in regards to the performance to achieve the thin fanless design, but just imagine in 2-3 years when this thing is a beast. And it's still fanless. The Core M is powerful enough for my needs, but with the performance increases that will come? This thing could be a monster.

Some reviews have noted that it does get a little warm, but apparently it's evenly spread throughout the device. So we'll see how that goes.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

With no fan to cool the CPU it will be throttled down to a slower rate when it get too warm. I really perfer to have a fan for that reason.

As long as you do not do anything that is too CPU intensive you should be fine. Push the CPU and it will slow it down.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I personally love everything this laptop is: small, fanless, sleek, new keyboard/track pad. It will easily work for my task...email, office, remote desktop.

I doubt I will ever do anything taxing :)

4. keviig macrumors 6502

I for one is a big fan of it being fanless! I can't stand fan noise, so i'd rather it do the tasks a bit slower with no noise than faster with a blaring fan.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The demo unit I tried ran just as fast as my 13" pro (2015)

6. keviig macrumors 6502

That sounds very promising!
    I actually have a 2015 13" Pro myself that i will sell once i get the Macbook. I've concluded that while the Pro has more performance i just can't stand the fan noise so i might as well settle with the Macbook.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If

you are doing enough to get your rMBP fan to spin up a lot then the rMB is probably not for you.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

For me it's usually Twitch which uses Flash so Flash is to blame.

9. consumeritis macrumors member

I can't wait for the day when all computers are silent.

Fan noise is extremely annoying. I'd rather have a 'throttled' computer that runs at a consistent speed than one that is forced to spin up a jet engine every time it does something slightly demanding.

People suffer for years with tinnitus and hearing loss is a real risk. Granted not a worry with the fan in a rMBP, but I have had some noisy PCs in the past. GPUs with fans three times the size of the card? Tiny whining fans on every motherboard chip? No thanks, I am done with that.

Very much a fan of fanless. ;)

The perfect laptop for people working in recording studios etc?

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Tinnitus and hearing loss from computer fans? Really?

11. newellj macrumors 601

For most tasks, probably a plus. No noise, no dirt or dust ingested to inhibit cooling over time.

If your ripping videos or doing a big encoding project, it might be a big deal. I don't even do that on my MBPs any more - I do it on a desktop and manually turn the fans up. I've had laptops overheat and shut down due to heat management issues.

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I don't know, they'd have to be super loud. Hell, even my home lab rack isn't above the threshold for hearing damage with my desk next to it (checked dB level and it was 75dB). The threshold is 85dB, that'd be one loud laptop.

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Two things about fans.

1. The use the battery
    2. They make noise. (a very annoying noise to some)

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

My 15" MBP Early 2011 fan only kick on when I've got Photoshop running with a bunch of other stuff, or when some crappy Chrome extension becomes a hog. It's run much quieter since I upgraded to an SSD about a month ago.

I'm interested to see how the throttling works on the new rMB when you get too much going.

15. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

There are other ways to reduce noise. I used to build a new PC every year just for quiet operation, then I switched from Win to OSX. Even now the fan in the MBA is obnoxious when it runs at speed due to CIV. I'm going to get a rMB to run Obduction when it's out next year.

16. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I can see this if you're in a server room full of delta fans at max RPM because the A/C is down :D

[for any that don't know, delta computer fans are infamous for two things: maximum airflow, and maximum DB]

The big deal about fanless is more the size savings than anything. They don't have to accommodate the extra thickness of the heat pipe/fan combo, so they can thin it down. Also saves weight.

As far as throttling, it'll be interesting to see if there is any. 5w isn't exactly a huge amount of voltage, and the MacBook will still have PASSIVE cooling of some sort [my suspicion is that they're using the chassis itself as a big heat sync]

Only time will tell.

17. keviig macrumors 6502

95% of the time i spend on my Mac is just light stuff like browsing and watching movies. The other 5% that is more demanding i'd rather have take whatever extra time it takes than having lots of fan noise while doing it. I also have a desktop computer at home for all the really heavy stuff.

18. hova macrumors member

I always wanted a fanless laptop but the ones available with Atom processor weren't as powerful and ran a bit hot.

The current Broadwell Core M is still a bit on the slow side but much closer to what i want. I imagine that due to the heavy interest of OEMs in the Core M, Intel will put more resources into its development in the future.
    So i'm definitely considering the Skylake or Cannonlake generation of this machine and hopefully a larger screen model will be available.

19. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I rip Blu-rays to MKVs. I wonder how the rMB would fare with that? But yeah, no fan is definitely a plus for lightweight tasks.