How big of a deal is this Siri thing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac jones, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mac jones macrumors 68040

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

looks and sounds pretty cool, but im not too sure on how often i would use it??? i guess thats the question you should answer? nothing about the 4S sounded "ZOMG" to upgrade from my 4 in which i have no problems with right now.

3. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

It's A cool feature, but definitely now worth upgrading for if you have an iPhone 4. There will most likely be a jailbreak app to enable it on iPhone 4.

4. BuckDot macrumors member

This is the thing with voice control... while Siri seems like great technology, I've had other (albeit less sophisticated) voice control on other phones which worked fine and I just never used it.

5. kulimer macrumors 6502

Who is Siri, sounds like a Indian first name? Is that the developer's name?

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

That siri looks like freaking amazing feature. It would help people not to text and drive.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

It was the name of the company that Apple bought back early last year.

8. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Is this a real question? Do you honestly rely on others to tell you what you want?

9. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I don't think good or even great voice control cuts it...it has to be amazing, blow your mind voice control in order for you to use it on a daily basis. I don't use the voice control in my car bec I find the pauses too annoying and it forces you to navigate the on screen menus rather than just talk to it. Even if it works 95% of the time, when it doesn't it's very annoying. Yesterday, I got one of the new Garmin nuvis (2595LMT) and the voice control on it is absolutely amazing. A lot of strides have evidently been made in voice control so maybe we are at the beginning of a a whole new way of interacting with gadgets.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think it's a novelty just like facetime, but iMessage, reminders, and new notifications will be a welcomed addition.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I don't know how often I'd really use it, but it is pretty darn impressive.

12. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't know. Should I? :confused:

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Keep your iPhone 4. They will find a way for jailbreak users to get it.

14. libertysat macrumors regular

Its in iOS5
    Not on iPhone4s

voice search is great

15. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

It's a big effing deal. Apple has just raised the bar on this tech that all the others will attempt to follow.

16. mricyfire macrumors member

17. Gavernty macrumors 6502

Siri looks useful for the business people who use their Iphone to organize their life, not so much the average phone user though. I predict it will be like facetime, cool in the beginning, barely used in the end

18. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I've had the Siri app on my 3GS for over 2 years now, and I have only used it for a month. The first month, that is. It was really cool and exciting for the first month or so, but after a while, it got boring and tedious.

Plus, the interface in iPhone 4S is EXACTLY like the Siri app. The same text bubbles, same sort of confirmation of what you said, etc. I can't believe it took them this long to get it on the iPhone if their intention was to just copy and paste Siri into 4S's iOS 5.

Basically, it will be cool and all for the first month or so, but there is a major chance that you'll get bored to talking to your iPhone.

19. OSMac macrumors 65816

It seems they are reaching for ideas of what to put in these devices.

I'd rate it somewhat more useful than 3D TV...

At least you'll always have someone to talk to.

20. imac wannabe macrumors regular

That was funny:)

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You ever use voice commands or Siri on the iphone (what is available now or was available?)

Imagine that but more polished/integrated.

I was blown away by Voice Search/Commands on Android (really cool and pretty accurate/precise), but it is hardly something I use on a daily basis. Used it a couple of times driving when I wanted to navigate somewhere, maybe once or twice to send a text while driving, but that is about it.

Used maybe 1-3 times per 6 months.

Really depends how good it is, but my guess is not good enough where people use it daily.

A lot of times you end up having to press a button to confirm b/t a selection of choices, or you will need to go in and edit a mistken input. Which ends up deterrring use in the first place.

I reckon it will be akin to Facetime. Advertised as revolutionary (possibly) but you won't end up using it too much.

22. Fank macrumors member

Fank

First thought I had after watching the video, is it may save lives as teen/young drivers can text while driving and keep their hands on the wheel.

23. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

That or end up as an endless source of comedy relief with all the mistranslated text messages. The Newton handwrite recognition of the 21st century....

24. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

It's a silly gimmick.

For the past few years, we've been finding new and exciting ways to avoid talking on the phone. Why would Apple include a feature that forces you to do that?

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Maybe I'm thinking too big here, but after watching the video of the keynote today I couldn't help but think of the possibilities of Siri (or Siri-like technology). And I was immediately thinking of Jarvis from Iron Man. Imagine being able to roll out of bed and without even having to touch your computer you could just say out loud "what is the weather going to be like today?" and your computer speaks the forecast back to you.

Having said that, I'm kinda disappointed that the phone is basically the same aside from the internal changes. But I am also making sure not to direct that disappointment at Apple. We all read into the rumors way too much with this stuff and that is why we're disappointed.