How big of a monitor can a macbook power

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brianpitta726, Nov 28, 2009.

1. brianpitta726 macrumors newbie

I have the white MacBook. 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I want to have an external display for the laptop so I have a bigger monitor to watch videos on when I stream them from the internet. I was just wondering how big can the MacBook go without slowing it down or over working the machine? Will I notice a difference in the operating temperature and speed when there is an external monitor hooked up?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for monitors? I went to the apple store today and there monitors they had were too expensive for what I am looking for so I will probably be going with HP, LG, or Samsung.

Thanks for the help,
    Brian

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Your Macbook Brian can only power a display of up to 1080x1900 (HD) which is standard for a 24 inch display. You will need a mini dvi > dvi adapter. There shouldn't be too much of a temperature difference, but you will notice you run a bit slower as the graphics card must power a huge display, it shouldn't be noticeable though.

I would suggest HP or Dell for displays as they have great deals, and (especially dell) have good warranties.

If you get a 24" my best advice is not to buy the cheapest, but more the $250 ones. They cheap $150 ones have werid resolutions and will give you trouble most of the time.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You mean 1920x1080? ;)

I have this monitor and it runs perfectly fine. The only downside would be that it's a TN panel, but the you said that the IPS displays that Apple sold were too expensive so it's not a big deal. Oh and the built in speakers suck. Just throwing some cheap ideas out there.