How Big of an Improvement Will The Upcoming Upgrades To The Macbook Pro Be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DocDoom, Nov 19, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

How big of an improvement will the upcoming upgrades to the Macbook Pro line be? Is it possible to see a 2.6Ghz Macbook Pro with Discreet graphics, for the same price as the current 2.5ghz model? Some new colors maybe? Anyone..?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search, you'll find dozens of threads filled with speculations on upcoming updates, but the bottom line is NO ONE KNOWS (except Apple). Why even ask? No one here has any more information than you do.

3. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

not sure about the 2.6ghz. But i would be willing to bet there will NOT be any new colors.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems someone deleted my earlier post which was way less off topic than some of the other posts in this thread. That being said, new colors are not likely, but "big improvement" is subjective. Since you're asking about it, I highly doubt any improvement is going to matter to you- new processors won't help you read your e-mail faster. If you did a lot of video editing it might be a different story.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

All i know is they wont make colors, though i wish they would remake the clamshells with modern specs, id be so happy

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bigger then the ones that will follow, but not as big as the one that came before. Or in other words, who knows?

7. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Seems to me that after every update, people start saying they're waiting for the next one, because some new CPU or GPU is on the horizon. In the Core Duo days it was Merom, now it's Nehelem.

The bottom line is this: The current machines are screamers, and some of the most affordably/reasonably priced Macs ever. If this were July, I'd say to purchase now.

However, I expect an update in the first quarter of 2010. Can you wait up to four more months? If so, it's a good idea.

I always wait, and only buy immediately after an update. But I don't get hung up on when the "next" thing is coming. There's always a next thing.

8. marvel2 macrumors 6502

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If you would like in depth discussion about the upcoming updates, based on Intel's Arrandale chipset, then sink your teeth into 61 pages of this thread.

If you don't want to, i don't blame you. But this is the first architecture overhaul that Intel has done in a long time. Clock speeds will be lower, along with heat output and power consumption, but performance will be much improved.

I'd wait this one out. Unless it's an Xmas gift or something...

10. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

To paraphrase Henry Ford: "You can have any color you want, as long as it's silver." :p