How boggled were you by the Keynote on June 9th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Jun 15, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68020

People everywhere had a strict mindset of what they were going to see come June 9th. There was alot of evidence behind why we thought what we thought, but I'm sure we were all surprised.

We expected a release of the 3G iPhone ASAP because how could Apple possibly delay sales of this thing any longer?

We thought it would be released around June 18th because the Apple Store in Spain was opening that day and it would be perfect for the store to open up with the new iPhone.

The AT&T Memo we "heard" about said June 15 - July 12, so we figured sometime around June 27th would be a perfect release date.

We also thought that there was no way Apple would make the iPhone thicker, because that is just not Apple like. We thought the iPhone couldn't have a plastic back, because brushed metal is featured on the majority of their products.

Alot of people figured that a front facing camera was coming because of patents that were revealed and a 3rd sensor that was revealed also.

We also expected a Tablet (or Newtown, w.e) because Apple is known for surprising their audiences with new products.

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Wow what a shock, dozens of baseless rumors and speculations turned out to not be true.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

4. plokiju macrumors newbie

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I knew that they wouldn't release anything but a 3G iPhone. Halfway through the keynote, I even thought that they weren't releasing that.

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was not surprised either. It was simply what I thought it would be. I didn't give much stock into those rumors.

7. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Lesson learned for some I'd say.....don't put your hopes into (mostly) empty rumors. For me it wasnt a let down, a disappointment, a shambles, a rip off, underspecced, overpriced or any other put down, it is what I wanted it to be.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I was suprised that the peole there were going wild about some of Jobs anouncements. E.g. deleting multiple emails.

9. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

You thought the 3G release would be timed to a store opening in SPAIN? Yes, since so many product releases have been timed to things happening in Spain.

Brushed metal is a finish in the minority of apple products currently for sale.

The rest of the stuff was just pure internet speculation. I wanted a 3G iphone and I got it.

10. TheMBC macrumors 6502

How many people are actually THAT shocked?

This was SO Apple. They fix two or three things and call it "better than its predecessor" every year. And every three months they up the storage and bring down the price.

Nothing new, all same old Apple.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I was shocked with the firmware 2.0 coming out "early July."

Come on! He said "late June" in March =(.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The new 3G iphone will be about what I expected. But if I had the
    current model I would be happy to keep it until the next revision.

13. beaker26 macrumors member

You can't rush software development. I would rather have Apple take their time, have a good worked out system instead of something that needs many updates in the first three weeks.

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I haven't really been surprised an an apple event for a while...

15. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I think I was more shocked at the release date more than anything. At worst, I thought the date was going to be June 27.

16. elbirth macrumors 65816

agreed, this was the only thing that actually shocked me really at all. Having followed Apple's keynotes and product releases for a few years now, I pretty much knew that the actual product wouldnt come close to the insane hype surrounding the launch. When he said July 11, however, I was honestly shocked, considering they've been dramatically pulling back on the current stock. This makes it about 2 months that they've gone without a solid flow of product, and I really didn't foresee that at all.

17. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

The time between the announcement and the release was the thing for me too.

They haven't had any iPhones for awhile now and I thought it would be available sooner.

18. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I had higher expectations. I figured the 3G iPhone was an obvious announcement along with the Application store. I was waiting for something else.

19. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

From the keynote itself, the only thing that took me by surprise was the release date. I was prepared to rush to the store that day...

Outside of that, the only thing that surprised me was the unfavorable reaction by the community. They let themselves believe rumors and hype, and actually got upset when those things didn't turn out to be true? It defies logic...

20. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    3G and App Store were pretty much set in stone already so I wasn't expecting much else, which is exactly what I got! :eek: ;) :)

21. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

And the headphone jack. I've got to hand it to Steve, he certainly knows how make a **** up sound like a gift from the heavens.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Was on the edge of my seat, but I was left dumbfounded, b/c I expected so much more from SJ's Keynote. I kept asking myself, "Is That All There Is My Friend?" :(

23. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It didn't surprise me, but it did disappoint me. It happens every time a new product is expected and then released. :confused: Have a look at the posts either side of the Leopard release. If I was on the Apple team and had been slogging my guts out to add a load of new features to something, then read the posts on here afterwards I'd wonder why I'd tried so hard.

24. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I'm with you there, it is a bit disturbing how people react, I haven't been here at MR long, but always remembered what the site is called/about macRUMORS, so I didn't feel let down one single bit....infact, the very opposite.

25. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

If you were disappointed you put to much faith in these rumor sites. Need to remember that its always just a rumor until Apple says it themselves.

For me, everything went as expected at the keynote.