How Campaigns Will Be Run In The Future.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Interesting story in Forbes on how Trump's son in law Jarad Kushner managed Trump's campaign.

It's a great read no matter which side you are on. I highly recommend it.

2. LizKat, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well @yaxomoxay will be interested since the author practically hangs his piece off a quote from Henry Kissinger:

That achievement, coupled with the personal trust Trump has in him, uniquely positions Kushner to be a power broker of the highest order for at least four years. “Every president I’ve ever known has one or two people he intuitively and structurally trusts,” says former secretary of state Henry Kissinger, who has known Trump socially for decades and is currently advising the president-elect on foreign policy issues. “I think Jared might be that person.”
    Kissinger anoints the future of the anti-establishment's establishment... good luck to the out of work big rig drivers upstate here with their joyous vote for Trump. I feel badly for them now and for all of us. This guy Trump, he's just another flim flam pol but without the inside savvy and it looks like he's leaving that to his son in law and otherwise to the establishment already in place.

Edit: I have to say it is a good read though. The kid killed it. He really put together a ground game where it mattered and he did it with connections to Silicon Valley, understanding social media, making just-in-time decisions light on political freight and heavy on data. The DNC should read it and weep.

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

He ran the campaign like a business. I can see this as a model for all future campaigns both Democrat and Republican.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Thank you for tagging me.
    Yep, very interesting indeed. I am not sure if DJT is going to play 'dumb', or if he's going to give in to DC's realities. As an observer, trying to trace a possible put is quite problematic. I think that we just have to wait and see; clearly the establishment wants to penetrate into the cabinet.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you're painting the establishment are too much of a coherent force ;).

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So lying and name calling and acting like a spoiled child is how it will go now? God help us.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Still what the kid ran was a campaign, not a government. If you win by selling in an idea of a different government, but if what your father-in-law produces in the end doesn't walk like what you sold... welcome to the midterms two years down the road, and then maybe even welcome to a primary from within your own party.

The proof, as always, is in the pudding. These truckers around here didn't vote for Silicon Valley or anything like it. They may have got suckered by it though. That's going to be Trump's problem. The fool-me-once problem. That and all the conflict of interest issues he's going to face by not being able to separate his brand from his presidency in the minds of a lot of wanna-play people in a lot of countries. Trump will be seen as making money off his brand. It's inevitable. That he seems to think he can just brush it off amazes me.

That Trump takes a hyper-aggressive tack towards the media even before his inauguration more or less guarantees the Fourth Estate is now wide awake and doing its homework. That's weird. I mean the guy won his election. And no one called it rigged. Yet this guy goes after them as if he just lost and can prove it was mainstream media's fault.

Hello? Mr. Trump? You won! Go forth and govern already. But see that's the problem. He counted on losing and having a huge following to take to some alt-right media outlet. Oops.

I don't care what Bannon serves up for distraction. You can fool a truck driver just so long before the equivalent of the ol' CB radio grapevine gets fired up. Trump is their president now, they elected him and it's time to see him drain the swamp. Meanwhile who are these creatures from DC riding the the elevator up the Trump Tower in NY? "Watch the birdie... Hamilton cast insults Pence..." Good luck with that sort of stuff in another month.

Trump's looking at trouble trying to make good on some of his most popular campaign promises when he's got the headwinds of a marginally red Senate and a fully alive and well Constitution before him. Bannon's challenge will be to try to sell in bipartisan legislation (infrastructure, say) to underemployed truck drivers as being just as good or better than some of Trump's dicier red meat offerings. Now there's a story for Forbes to work on before their next take on Jared Kushner: "Trump converts truckers to fans of NAFTA 2.0 by repaving rough roads".

Me I've never forgotten that NAFTA is why I can haz tulips on my breakfast tray in December if I want them, even though exports of fresh flowers from Central and South America have been dropping as flower shops here close in recent years. Truckers out of work don't let their wives buy stuff like that. The DNC definitely forgot that for a long time already. It remains to be seen if Paul Ryan gets it and goes high for that infrastructure bill. Jobs plus good roads = more florist shops and happy truckers. Another story for Forbes but I'm not expecting them to print that one any time soon. It's so...middle class? :p Anyway not very Trumpian.

8. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

We are not talking about Donald Trump. The article is about how Trump's son in law ran the campaign. It's a really good article.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 22, 2016 ---
    That's a given :).

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Oh no, they're just afraid to receive less gifts next Christmas....

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, good for him. Call me old-fashioned, but I still want solely publicly-funded Elections, and I want them run like a non-profit.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump has to be fair spent a lot less.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Meaning? A year plus of free publicity because it drove 24hr news cycles? I guess I'd rather vote for the best candidate, than the candidate that has the best marketing staff...

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe a non terrible candidate could do what Trump has done and spend far less money and get a fair amount of bang :).

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Me too, but not holding my breath in the age of Citizens United.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is no such thing as the "best candidate" it's all about marketing and perception. This is what hurt Hillary.

18. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, most voters are uneducated when it comes to elections.

19. cwosigns, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

Oh absolutely! All campaigns should take meetings with enemy foreign agents who say, "Our government is backing your candidate," lie about it, change their story when pressed, and leave a paper trail.

"I love it!"

20. zin macrumors 6502

Whatever he did, he should do it again. They spent less, raised less, had a tenth of the staff, and ended up with more cash on hand when the whole thing was over than Clinton.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

What I recall of the 24 hour news cycle was the media falling over themselves making fun of Trump. I don't have much of a memory of the (soon to be born) hysterical Left complaining how Trump was getting free publicity. They actually loved it, I think.

Let's leave HRC out of this, please.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You don't want to see the end of the movie first? Before coming to your conclusion?

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

what ripped off as many as you can get away with then sue?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    since since trump out lied her about 20 to one ratio.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes let's. So stop bringing her up! :rolleyes:

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

since @yaxomoxay admired Kissinger so much, he must be delighted with foreign governments interfering with the US election...