How can any Apple fan not want an iPad Mini to come out? Forum full of Analyst

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kblakeshot, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Kblakeshot, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012

Kblakeshot macrumors member

I don't often post and this is more of a rant, but I do NOT get the "Apple shouldn't make a iPad Mini" comments. WHY??? I am so tired of the people on this site. One person says something and suddenly everyone repeats it and become analyst, advisers, & financial consultants.

"An iPad Mini will take away sales from the iPad 3/iPad 2"
    "The iPad Mini will take away sales from the iPod Touch"
    "The iPad Mini is dumb and too small"
    "Its stupid to have an in between size... buy the iPad or the iPhone"

WHO CARES... Are YOU losing money? Are you forced to buy one? Can you still purchase an iPad 9.7 at any time you wish?

Do you people hear yourselves? Im what people call an "Apple Fanboy" myself, but to think some of you would rather have less Apple products because your worried about the regular iPad Sales declining? Really??

Do you work for Apple Corporate?
    Are you losing anything if it does decrease sales?
    Can you simply just NOT buy the iPad Mini if you dont want it and continue with your life?

I understand giving thoughts on yes they will make one or no they wont make one... but to say its dumb to make one or Apple will lose money if etc... is STUPID. Who cares if they lose money? We simply just buy the products we DO want. We dont lose money if Apple does. Why are some many people on these boards fine with One Phone per year and One iPad per year? Hey Apple... dont give us multiple options because... "it's the Apple way."

What if Honda only made minivans and said if you want a coupe or sedan go get a Toyota because if we make an Accord it will cut sales of our minivans.

People... a smaller iPad is coming... PERIOD. Im sure most of these people are the same ones that repeatedly swore a Verizon iPhone would never come.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

You do make some positive points.
    You have your opinion and other people have theirs.
    Are some people naive, sure. But, it takes all kinds.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Now explain the reason anybody should care what you think? Or why you care what others think, for that matter? Opinions are opinions, and yours are no more valid than anyone else's. That's why they are called "opinions". :eek:

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree. So I have an opinion.
    I think this thread is just another useless babble thread that I seem to have a habit of commenting in.

:cool:

5. jbimler macrumors regular

I can understand not wanting to purchase one, but I don't get the hoards of people you see arguing against it every time the rumor is posted. Why do those people care? You sound like douche bags telling me what I wouldn't use.

Personally I'd love the iPad mini in time for Christmas for my kids.

6. chokem macrumors 6502

I'm really indifferent. I wont be buying one as I'm extremely satisfied with my iPad 3. I do see a place in the tab market for it though, and if I know Apple, they will sell tons of them.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Well I (and many others here) own Apple stock, so I do care about Apple making good business decisions.

However, one of the reasons I own Apple stock is because I trust them to make good business decisions. The fact that *I* don't want to buy a mini-pad doesn't mean lots of others won't.

I spent the entire months of April and May reading post after post here from people convinced it was an absolute disaster for Apple to make a MacBook Pro with no optical drive or Ethernet port. I didn't have a high opinion of those people's acumen and I don't have a high opinion of the acumen of those predicting disaster with a miniPad

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It is a bit hilarious watching people "play" Analyst.

You get it all.

"Nooo don't make an iPad mini make a iPod Touch XL!"

or the

"Steve Jobs would hate it" which is odd because Steve's RDF came largely from panning a product until he had an Apple branded version to sell you. Of course he's going to slag 7" tablets. He wanted you to buy an iPad.

Sometimes it's about the source. Bloomberg and WSJ don't build their success around catering to the Apple rumor mill. If they have a story it's likely a inside leak.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pot, kettle. You've apparently declared yourself an analyst as well.

If you don't like the anti mini iPad threads then don't read them. Problem solved.

10. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

They will realized Steve Jobs is not always right and that Google, RIM, Samsung, etc., hit the mark with 7" Tablet.

11. lamiafarjana macrumors newbie

I agree with you. I'm eagerly waiting for iPad mini. I have iPod nano 6th gen which i loved and want to get ipad. But, iPad is very costly for me. I can't pay more than $250 for tablet. Android tabs are ok, but i don't like their app format. Ipad rocks.
    When ipad mini comes out, apple will cover all area of market.
    ipad mini will take apple to new height. Let those useless ones who criticise about it, they will be the ones to get it first

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

And here I was thinking the forum was full of wishful thinkers. The problem is you can't just wish something into existence - reality always comes into play. There's nothing wrong with looking at problems analytically. The people who are advocating the "need" for a smaller device are saying two different things (1) smaller and (2) cheaper. Now there's a good likelihood that a samller device will cost less but not to the extent that the posts here suggest. A $199 device is not priced to make profit. It just can't be. And Apple can't magically make a 7.xx inch tablet device that can sell for anything with a $2xx price point. That also can't happen. So you're looking at a tablet that's likely north of $349, IF it happens. That's reality. So there's nothing wrong with saying Apple should come out with a smaller tablet, but saying it will be priced competitively with a $199 device that's sold at little or no profit is not rational.

13. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I don't give a crap if it comes out, I just won't buy it.

It's not going to be what everybody expects. If you think you are getting a reduced sized, iPad-quality device for a fraction of the price, you are going to be angry. The only reason it would be made is to appeal to the less-wealthy demographic, and that means making it cheap. Cheap in quality and cheap in price. And when everybody who expected a high-quality premium device is making anger threads over it, i'll be sitting back eating my popcorn.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When it comes to the arguments against the mini, you didn't mention the only reason that pretty much stops the prototype from becoming a reality.

Can apple make the profit margins on the 7" that they make on everything else?

It's irrelevant to me if apple releases a 7" or not. All I know is that Google's new 7" has razor thin profit margins. That's not how apple works. You know this, I know this and people who follow apple know this.

If apple has to charge $249 or $299, would you buy it? Don't give me this bs about what you want the price to be. If apple can't meet a perceived ceiling amongst the public, the 7" won't be successful and they'll have invested the money in parts, materials, etc. for nothing.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Apple doesnt need a small iPad

A big iPod touch makes more sense.

16. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm sure Apple can get away with charging $25-50 more for a tablet than Google can. Also, many (most) would be sold through Apple stores or online, which has a huge impact on the bottom line. And Apple can generally source supplies at a better price.

17. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

But what is the difference? I love my iPad but it is in essence a giant iPod touch.

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

A mere $50 profit for an apple product? That's peanuts. Apple receives a 50% profit on its ipad 3. Unless apple can wrangle a deep discount on their components, the ipad mini isn't happening.

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

iPad3 cost $316 to make. Also has to be shipped, marketed, sold to non-Apple vendors at a substantial discount from the selling price. There's no 50% profit in there - nowhere close to it.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Really, I think the majority of intelligent people know the trend here, and has been the trend for years now with loyal Apple fans.

Apple do not make it = It would be a bad idea, and should not be done.

Apple make it = It's an excellent idea and Apple's version is better than anyone elses.

Virtually no Apple fans will buy any Apple tablet that has a screen in any way larger or smaller than the current size. How many time have you hear it said it's "Perfect" as it is.

Or course we all know this attitude will change the moment a different sized model is made by Apple.

Fans probably seem to think it will be the same size in 50 years time also.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Any idea why Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 took over 10 years to come out? Because WoW sucked away all the development resources. It was only in recent years when the WoW craze started to wane did Blizzard finally consider working on those sequels. Granted, WoW proved to be a financial success, but the same logic can apply here. By working on a product which not that many people may want, they are diverting resources away from other R&D areas which other people might care about more, such as the next iphone, 4th gen ipad or retina imac. :p

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ok, two things:

1. If you are simply an "Apple fan" and just want the company to do well in general, you should be happy about this. There is already a buzz going for the iPad Mini (or whatever it ends up being called, if it even exists at all) and people will buy the hell out of it, and it will be popular. The iPod line has gone through the same expansion, and it only makes sense. It broadens the market for people who are maybe not able to afford a $399+ tablet.

2. A lot of the iPad owning detractors to this product are displaying what's known as "buyer's remorse". And buyer's remorse is what fuels almost all nerd arguing on the internet. You paid all this money for this awesome device. A competing device comes out (or in this case, a device with a broader audience due almost solely to cost) and you are afraid that you don't have the latest greatest thing anymore. Sadly with some Apple fans, you're also losing a little of the coolness factor because the iPad Mini will be a newer product than the iPad 3. (If you want a really good example of how this mentality works, take a look at the console wars and the fighting that ensues every time a console sales report comes out. Same with iOS vs. Android.)

For me personally, in the end I will still want the 9.7" iPad rather than an iPad Mini. I replaced my laptop with my iPad and a 7" tablet just isn't going to cut it for me. Also, if the rumors are true and the iPad Mini has no retina display, that's a HUGE deal breaker in my eyes.

But in general, I say "Go Apple". Release this thing already. Or drop prices on the current line. Apple has several weapons to counter all the rival tablet makers, any of which will work nicely. It's just a matter of when they do it and which method they decide to use.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

Neither of those applies. The only factor to consider is reality.

(1) Reality requires Apple to be able to manufacture and market a smaller device at a cost that will realistically allow for an acceptable profit. Nobody currently selling a 7" device is selling at a profitable price point - they're doing it because competing at the 10" level is exceptionally risky so capturing the low-end is an acceptable alternative. Apple will never, ever be a competitor in that price range.
    (2) If Apple does release a smaller iPad it will be in the $349+ range. Dropping below that level will cut margins to an unworkable level and will draw sales from the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

why are you letting something like this bother you so bad??