How can anyone justify buying a new MacBook Pro with the current set of specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josh2012, Mar 2, 2010.

1. josh2012 macrumors member

Apple needs to upgrade to the new Intel processors which the comparable pc world already has done, add auto switching graphics like some competitors have implemented and is clearly available with NVIDIA's new Optimus or as Sony has done in their Z series through software, and how about upgrading screen resolutions to comparable standards, say 1600X900 in the 13" 1920X1080 in the 15" and 17" models

May I make my point using Sony's Z series, you have a 13" notebook that gets 6.5 hours of battery life with up to an i7 processor and using hybrid graphics including Intel's integrated for maximum power efficiency and when you need it a powerful NVIDIA GT 330M this combination will run circles around the current highest end 17" MacBook Pro, plus a 1600X900 display only comparable with the MacBook Pro 17's which is not even a comparison with a 4" difference! Also Sony was able to do all of this while maintain a small form factor around 1" thickness, still include an optical drive, and maintain a fairly low level of heat (comparable to current Mac's) for about the same price of a mid grade MacBook Pro...

Now I'm not anti Mac in any way, I love them, but I will not buy another one until they meet the rest of the high end mobile computing industries standards.

Now I must add one advantage the MacBook's have over all the competition the far superior operating system, the only possible "justification" but with sub-par specs for the price?

josh2012
    macrumors newbie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrxlvr
    Depends on what you need it for I suppose. If you're looking for value, a current MBP clearly isn't it right now.

The specs on the computer will handle most tasks asked of it, it just expensive compared to the competition.
    This is the point I was really trying to get at by making this post, what you get compared to the competition for a similar product.

I agree with all of you that stated the current MacBooks are more than capable.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A lot of people can justify their (or is it there?) purchase.

One is the need for an MBP, and the other is the non-existent need for such high processing power as the i3/5/7/9 offer.
    Not everyone wants the latest.

Btw, haven't you read any of the other similar threads about this issue?

3. chkenwing macrumors regular

#1 Because Joe Public aren't really bothered about technical specifications, all they care is that it's shiny and Apple.

#2 Some people need it. Like NEED it. Their life depends on it.

#3 They have too much money to burn.

And as far as I'm aware, OSX runs perfectly fine and quite optimised on the current gen hardware.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2008 MBP is more then up to the task. While you may think is inadaqute today, many people do not.

Don't want to buy one, then hold off, just don't criticize others want or need too.

5. zipa macrumors 65816

Joe Public most likely doesn't even know what Apple is.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I bought mine three months ago because I needed a new machine. Specs aren't everything.

7. wrxlvr macrumors newbie

Depends on what you need it for I suppose. If you're looking for value, a current MBP clearly isn't it right now.

The specs on the computer will handle most tasks asked of it, it just expensive compared to the competition.

8. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

I will second these two posts. :)

9. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Bought mine four months ago because, well, I wanted one. And now I've been using it for those four months and it's been great - it is a fantastic machine.

So perhaps the OP should change the thread to: "How can anyone not justify simply buying a Mac when they want one?"

10. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

The 3.06 GHz Penryn I just ordered is still a big jump from my MBP 3,1, and it has the advantage of existing and being available.

Don't want a Hackintosh--too much headache.

Show me another 17" OS X-based notebook that's 25-30% faster than what I have now--that's available now--and I'll gladly pick one up.

11. josh2012 thread starter macrumors member

This is the point I was really trying to get at by making this post, what you get compared to the competition for a similar product.

I agree with all of you that stated the current MacBooks are more than capable.

12. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Again, show me the comparable 17" mac notebook from another manufacturer.

13. Imperil macrumors member

I need a notebook for a conference next week so I'll be picking up either an MBP or Air (I was actually leaning towards the Air since this machine will only be for travel/conferences... but the trackpad feels like a Lenovo compared to the MBP!). Both machines are completely capable and they run OSX legally and natively which is what I want. I'll gladly pay a bit more rather than get stuck with a Windows machine.

14. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

They really can't justify it.

The Sony Vaio's kick their asses.

The F Series gives them a blu ray burner, an i7 processor, and a cutting edge 1GB dedicated GPU for cheaper than it costs to buy a 13 inch MBP!!!

Or if they want something cheaper, they can get a NW series laptop with awesome specs for under $900!

And they have excellent build quality, Sony is rated higher than Apple is customer satisfaction.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This whole "I can get a better equipped Windows machine for cheaper" discussion gets tiresome after a while

People make decisions based on other things besides price and specs
    The OS is clearly a factor
    The lack of viruses
    Apple's highly rated customer support (in spite of what you read here)
    And so many other factors

Each person makes their own decisions
    And none of us are equipped to judge or question them
    They do not have to justify anything

Clearly the MBP line is in need of a refresh
    Hence the myriad of threads of users who are anxiously awaiting it

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Knowledge of specs of a machine is one thing. Common knowledge that is pop-culture is another. I'm pretty sure public Joe has heard of a tiny fruit company called Apple. ;)

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And probably owns an iPod or an iPhone... maybe both

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Op If Sony offers you everything you want besides os x , why not go with them?

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There are people who do actual work with their computers. And not all jobs require fast processors and graphics cards.

having the newest and latest hardware is a hobby rather than an actual need to be productive.

As long as the current systems run fine why stay without a computer for longer in anticipation of an update you don't even know when will come?

20. josh2012 thread starter macrumors member

There are many comparable 17" notebooks in comparing specs to the 17" macs even exceeding such as the Lenovo W700 available with an Intel quad processor, but I would not compare them in quality or design as with the Sony Z. If you want a quality built desktop replacement then yes the MBP is hard to beat, but if the specs are what counts for you because you are going to be running intensive software then there are alternatives.

21. coolmacguy macrumors regular

The current model will still work for non-power users that want a Mac.

That said, the current specs are pathetic.

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My 2008 MBP does everything I want it to do. If you don't think it's worth it to purchase a new MBP because of its price, why not consider buying an older machine?

23. dndandrea macrumors 6502

i just bought a brand new one saturday (the current 15" macbook pros) because it was a LOT better than the old black macbook i just sold for $800. cut my cost in half so why not? plus i need it now for school, i'm already in pain not having microsoft word for the past 5 days with assignments due by the end of the week.

plus because the new mbps won't be released til around july, and that's pretty far away. sadly a lot of people here think the new ones are going to come out every tuesday haha.

24. zipa macrumors 65816

Maybe, but he sure doesn't buy their products, though. Apple is very much a niche player in the PC business (having, what, 5-10 % market share?), and by definition Joe Public isn't out shopping for niche products.

I'm not saying that there aren't any "technologically challenged" Apple customers who couldn't care less about specs, I'm just saying that Joe Public isn't one of them. He's out there at Best Buy checking out that new Acer.

25. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

We've gone through Latitudes, Thinkpad's, Vaio's, LG's an HP and when I look at what they offer now it's same junk just with more up to date spec's, lol.

I'd buy the current 13", 15" or MBA ahead of any of the other notebooks with greater under the hood spec's.

It's about day to day user experience as much or more than spec's, Mac's can't be beat based on my experience.