How Can Apple Lose the Tablet Wars When Competitors Produce Products Like Sony

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LaWally, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LaWally macrumors 6502a

In technology, there’s a fine line between innovation and eccentricity. Sony’s new Tablet P boldly approaches the line, and then stomps all over it.
    Overpriced and under-thought, the Tablet P -- which runs the “Honeycomb” version of Google (GOOG)’s Android operating system -- is at least distinctive. No flat black slab here. Instead, its rounded case houses two screens, each measuring 5.5 inches diagonally, separated by a thick black bezel and two hinges that allow it to fold up like a clamshell. Or maybe an eyeglass case. Or a taco.

What were they thinking?

For the story, pictures and a video:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-21/what-was-sony-thinking-with-tablet-p-rich-jaroslovsky.html

2. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I think "rolling on the floor laughing" may be the appropriate response. But I'd take crying too.

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

the only way for any of these other tablets to succeed, they have to offer something different. Trying to copy Apple and use a half assed OS like Android, is just offering a second rate product and experience.

Someone, someday will come up with something truly unique and different.
    Someday.

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Sony should be ashamed of themselves. How could the company who crafted the supernal Playstation 3, design that?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sony crashed and burned for me a long time ago...I bought a top end monitor from them which died within a week...Customer service? zip...I had to declare war on the retailer just to get a refund....Haven't bought a single Sony product since, and if the above is anything to go by, I'm not missing out.

6. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Sony has the PS3 which could be the most dominate home media box ever and failed miserablely.

7. noles200 macrumors member

My kids have one of these. It's pretty cool to play games on. It's called a Nintendo 3DS. BTW, they actually play games more on the iPad then they do on that DS. LMAO

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Ever since Phony took away Linux on the PS3 it started going down hill. I hope thet keep going. Clown *** company.

9. MR1324 macrumors 6502

it's not just the way the device is physically designed; half of apple's success also lies in the design of ios. when you combine great hardware with great software, you will have a successful product.

10. Built macrumors 68020

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

iOS is amazing on the iPad. It's fully realized and so much more natural on a larger screen. I personally can't stand iOS on the small iPhone screen. On the iPad everything is spaced out and uncramped. Mail is easier to navigate and use. Safari is infinitely better. (I can't believe it takes 3 steps or more to switch between tabs on the iPhone.). Switching between apps is easier too thanks to gestures. And the keyboard feels way more responsive on the iPad too. Maybe it's the bigger keys or the fact that there's the option to split the keyboard. there are more examples.

I didn't realize ios' full potential until I got the iPad.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

What I don't understand is that all those companies still are not including ICS and instead promising that it may come soon.
    How long has ICS been out now? a while right?
    I was just reading on Engaged about the newest 7.7 Galaxy 4g and it too is not running ICS and cost $700.00 unsubsidized.
    Are you kidding me?

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I too am like...wtf?!?

It's like all these competitors are already lame in one foot in the tablet wars, and sony proceeds to shoot itself in the other leg? :eek:

15. Rennir macrumors 6502

Looks like the Nintendo DS except for a tablet. Well at least they tried something different. That black line down the center of the screen is really annoying though.

16. wharzhee macrumors 6502

er.. i dont know. perhaps like how android does it?
    let the industry produce a huge number of tablets that it would supersede that of Apple? d;
    and then drown the entire world with android tabs?

17. soldierblue macrumors 6502

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Linking to the werdest tablet, if you can even call it that, and then asking how Apple is so successful is a clear cut case of selection bias. Duh the sony P tablet or whatever it's called is going to be a flop. It's overpriced and just too weird for the market to handle.

But ask how Apple only has an 80% market share when no real competition and you should be asking yourself "How is Apple failing so badly when there's no competition?"

19. wharzhee macrumors 6502

statistic is flawed. it does not account against the entire us pop. or the globe for that matter.

any first time comer, will own the entire market. cause when iPad was first introduced, there was no equivalent. iPad owned the market, like duh? 100%
    and when someone enters in, iPad has no where to go but down. anyway not everyone owned an iPad (despite having 100% of the market)

the industry, seeing how lucrative the biz was for apple, just made other tabs, industry makes them, people just buy them. a battle with one company - apple, vs all the others: is an easy win.

if all the others find the right formula, its a win. even if they dont, they just produce enough to drown out apple.

Anyway, apple does the same to the pc world vs their mac. Mac has no where to go but up.

20. jltj macrumors member

Unfortunately Sony's efforts in the past few years show that they have really lost the plot!

21. iCarabma macrumors 6502

I think it's a fantastic triumph of imagination and thinking outside the box that Sony came up with this design. It's an absolute joke they shipped it.

It's great for everybody when tech companies have robust R&D. But you also have know when to cut you're losses and shut it down.

I think you can tell more about Apple by the products they choose not to ship. It takes a lot of discipline to spend millions of dollars developing something and then say "this isn't working".

22. batotman macrumors 6502

It's Sony. I haven't turned my PS3 on in a year and use my Xbox all the time. They find a way to screw it up then think they can charge a premium for it. Sorry, Sony, I haven't considered you all that relevant since I got my Discman in junior high (and shockingly still works....lol).

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It depends on what they want to do. I love my Kindle Fire, but it is a totally different product from the iPad. I'm going to get an iPad soon, and one won't replace the other. They will coexist. Some users only want/need what the KF offers. For higher end devices, I can't see much of a market for Android, as the iPad is the only device with so many tablet-focused apps. The KF does better with phone apps, since it's smaller.

24. MR1324 macrumors 6502

yup ios is great on the ipad, but it's also great on the iphone. the most important aspect is that the os is the same on both platforms, meaning if you know how to use one, you know how to use the other. also, the fact that all the hardware gets upgraded to the same ios at the same time keeps things consistent. steve jobs talked about android fragmentation and it can clearly been seen in all the new android devices coming out; some have ICS, some don't. it's a huge mess out there. then we see a big company like sony release an awful product like the Sony P and it's clear why apple dominates the market.