How can Apple notice that I've opened the case of my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by needlz, Mar 3, 2010.

1. needlz macrumors member

As the topic already says, how can Apple notice that I've opened the case of my MBP? E.g. for replacing a harddisk, upgrading RAM, or even replacing the whole keyboard?

Also, if an authorized seller upgrades my notebook, does Apple keep a log so they can say "that part X has been upgraded officially and the warranty is not void"?

Cheers

2. nufanec macrumors regular

If you **** things up generally. Screws going back in wrong places, sheilding torn, etc. Different language keyboard to the one originally fitted. The presence of non Apple parts is also a dead giveaway.

3. marita macrumors newbie

marita

Upgrading RAM, or your harddrive will not void your warranty.

4. needlz thread starter macrumors member

Depends on the model of the notebook.

If an authorized service provider would place a new keyboard-kit (e.g. replace US layout with CH-DE Swiss German) on my MBP (which they do for about 300$), how can Apple tell that it has been done professionally?

Let's assume I did everything perfectly (like an authorized seller would do); is there still a way for apple to notice it?

5. Mister9 macrumors regular

Amateur sniffing dogs.

6. buddy1065 macrumors member

I would save the old stuff, re-install it before sending it back in. A bit of work but hey; it's warranty we're talking here.

7. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Get the right set of tools and be very careful with the screws I would say, also keep the original tape in place!

ps. keep all original parts

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

An Authorized service provider will enter your serial into an Apple database (forgetting the name of it now...) that tracks all service and repairs performed.

Why dont you be more clear and tell us what exactly you want to do and to what machine. I think we could give better advice with less questions and more information.

9. needlz thread starter macrumors member

Buy a Macbook Pro from the US (it's about 30-35% less expensive there), replace the keyboard with a Swiss German Layout, maybe upgrade the Harddrive and RAM.

Cheers

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You are mistaken. Whoever told you this is lying.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If hardware changes are made, Apple will know. But if you're more concerned with what happens behind the scenes, they will know from your serial number of your MacBook Pro. I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe the serial numbers and/or model number differ from the US and Europe. Hopefully someone can confirm this?

12. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

HD and RAM are easily user replaceable and as per Apple do not void the warranty unless you damage something while doing it.

Replacing the keyboard is one of the most involved and invasive repairs on the unibody machines. Since it is not a user replaceable part, if you want to guarantee that you keep your warranty you should pay to have it done at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I dont think it will have any effect on the warranty if it is done at an AASP and fully documented.

That said, if you are confident that you can do the replacement without leaving evidence (stripped screws, scratches, missing tape etc) and you are willing to revert to the stock keyboard before bringing it in for service in the future I think you could easily get away with doing it yourself.

I have personally taken 2 different MBP models in for repair without incident after installing and removing an optical drive to 2.5" drive converter. Once with a missing internal screw that I forgot to reinstall. :) I had no issues either time.

If you are willing to take the (in my opinion) minor risk of Apple noticing and caring you have been taking it apart and devote the significant amount of time (in my opinion) that it will take to restore it to stock before taking it in to Apple in the future I think you will be fine doing it yourself. If you are willing to spend some cash to have an AASP do it you should be able to forgo that risk and investment of time.

EDIT: here is the process to replace the topcase on the mid 2009 MBP 15", as you can see it is not easy.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Upper-Case/1734/1

13. needlz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies, I got all the infos I needed :)

If I replace something, I have either to
    a) return everything back to the state which Apple has in its Database, or
    b) give it to a Apple Service Provider and let him do everything (and update the Database).

Cheers

EDIT: Except for the HDD and RAM; but even if it's "user replaceable", I could imagine that Apple would blame another hardware defect to this?

14. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

I can confirm changing your ram or HDD does NOT void your warranty in any way.

Also, HOPP SCHWIIZ!!! :D

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I swapped the bottom case of my non-UB MBP, and took it in for warranty repairs, and they never mentioned it at all. I did put it back together perfectly though, so they checked the case serial number (which requires complete disassembly) I doubt they could even tell.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ugh. Apple CANNOT LEGALLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU OPENED YOUR CASE UNLESS THEY CAN PROVE YOU SCREWED THINGS UP YOURSELF IN THERE.

A mod should sticky this, this question is asked 50 times a day, the answer is always the same. Apple deems ram and HD as user replaceable part, and you are protected by the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, period.

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think for the most part, most understand that but people are insecure with the fact that Apple will try to blame the upgraded hardware for whatever problem is present at that time. It has happened to many and pretty sure it will in the future.

18. filmweaver macrumors regular

Probably the light sensor mounted internally that sends a radio signal to Apple if it senses light. Apple will in turn request a Return Signature to verify the serial number and then take your picture via the internal camera while you or the service person works on it. That's how they know.
    ;)
    LOL, just kidding. Who knows?:confused: