How can I access my files on a PC from my MacBook via the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sartajc, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sartajc macrumors member

Im in Austin with my Macbook, and I forgot to get my music from my XP computers in another state. My question is, how can I access my documents and music on my XP computer from my Macbook?

My sister can set up the windows computer so that won't be the problem. I just need to know how to set it up.

I have something called "remote desktop" that came with Office 2004, but im not really sure if thats what im needing.

random: i dont even use office 2004. it came free from my school. i use NeoOffice :)

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

How much data are we talking here? If its not a whole lot you could signup for an online data storage and have her upload it so then you could download it. Or she could go old fashioned and burn them to dvd's and mail them to you. That way you'd have a backup of the data too.

I know you could setup a server accessible from the internet but that's outside my scope of knowledge so i'll wait for someone else to tell you the specifics of that.

Zack

3. sartajc thread starter macrumors member

4. sartajc thread starter macrumors member

5. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Ummmm FedEx..?? :D:D

6. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

If this were me I'd have her either burn them on dvd's and mail them maybe make them a torrent and use a bittorrent client to download them from her?

maybe an idea

7. numlock macrumors 68000

seems easiest just to burn a few dvd´s

but you could look at something like foldershare.

8. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

You could always use a free trial from a remote connection service. This will require your sister to install a piece of software on the PC, and she will probably have to goto a website to connect to a remote desktop session.

A quick search brought up the following: https://www.ntrconnect.com/web/

I've never used them before, but they apparently have a 30-day free trial, and specifically state Mac and PC support.