How can I add the extension to all my files at one time?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvader123, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dvader123 macrumors regular

I could do it individually, but I am wondering and hoping there is an easier way.

I have a bunch of .docx, .pptx, and .pdf files that need the extension after them.

Thanks.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you click on one of these pdf files in Finder and press command-I, what do you see in the Name & Extension section of the Info window (when Hide extension is unchecked)?

3. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, but if I understood you correctly then I would only change the extension of that file, but I have hundreds of file that I would like to add .pdf to.

How can I make this change all at once without going into each file individually? Same for .docx and .pptx.

Thanks.

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

So you simply want the extension shown for a large number of files for which it is currently hidden?

You could try this.

1) Create a new folder on your Desktop named Hidden.

2) Move a few of your "extension-less" files into this folder.

3) Open Terminal (in Utilities) and type the following (or better, copy and paste) and press return:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/Hidden; SetFile -a e *
    4) If this works, you can move additional (or all) extension-less files into Hidden and simply renter the Terminal command shown above. The command simply turns off extension-hiding for all files in Hidden.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Easiest approach -- show all affected files in Finder, select them all (Command-A), view summary information (Control-Command-I), click on Name & Extension triangle and click Hide Selection checkbox so that it is unchecked.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yes, this is better! Forgot about Control-Command-I to get Multiple Item Info. Thanks. :)

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

No need. talmy's approach is best.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

talmy's approach does not do anything if the file has no extension in the first place...

9. LPZ macrumors 65816

If I understood post #3, the extensions are present, but hidden. That was what I was trying to determine in my first reply.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. First, if the extensions aren't already there, that approach doesn't help. Name Mangler will allow you to add extensions when there are none.

If the extensions are there but not showing, all you need to do is Finder > Preferences:
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

You're right, if the extensions are absent. I had decided they were simply hidden, but perhaps I misunderstood the OP.

The problem with the Finder preference setting is that it's all or nothing. I assumed the OP simply wanted to see the extensions on some of his files, not on every file on his hard drive.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I think the OP has a solution now, in any case.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The OP certainly wasn't clear, but it seems unlikely that the files don't have an extension. That would make it hard to determine which were PDFs, DOCXs, ...

If the files didn't have extensions, a renamer app would do, or you can use Automator. In Automator there is an action "Add Text to Finder Item Names" that will add any text as an extension. It can also be done from the command line but that's a bit more involved and there is a risk of screwing things up if you get the commands wrong. Google "rename files in bash".

13. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try this as it may be what I am looking for. I apologize because I wasnt clear. The extensions are there, but they are hidden. They are not showing for many of my files.

Hope that clears things up. Thank you again for your speedy responses.

14. woofbow macrumors newbie

I've used a shareware program called FileBuddy for purposes like these (and others) for a long time, even going back to OS 8, I think.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't appear to be compatible with SL: