How can I boost my signal strength to 3-5 bars LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Right now I'm at about 2. Maybe 3. (LTE)

How can I boost to 3-5 LTE?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Drive around town to find out where the signal strength is the best and buy a house there

3. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Aside from going upstairs (if you have a 2nd or 3rd floor) or going outside, there aren't other viable options.

If you were thinking of using an LTE repeater in your house, you'd be looking at a $7,000 device.

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where can I buy one?

5. specops macrumors regular

we got a winner ladies and gentleman! haha

6. mac.cali macrumors 65816

7. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Climb on top of the LTE tower.
    You will get 5 bars and crazy LTE speeds:D

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Don't want cancer don't go outside, eat hormone grown foods or use a cell phone. :D

They are safe. It's just an antenna. Probably no different than a directv antenna.

10. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Have they started making LTE signal boosters/microcells yet?

That being said, you don't need it OP.

2-3 is good enough. Even at that signal strength, data is reliable and ridiculously fast.

11. mac.cali macrumors 65816

12. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But is there a big speed difference between 2 bars and 5 speed wise on LTE?

Never tried 5 bars.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I get very fast speeds even with 2 bars of LTE so Im sure you will be fine.
    Why are you so concerned about it?
    What kind of speeds you get with your LTE connection right now?

14. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5.77 dowload and 2.13 upload on 2 bars

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

There will a difference, but I honestly don't think it is noticeable. Like I get full bars outside my apartment building on LTE pushing 45+ mbps, but inside my apartment, I have like 3 bars and am getting around 30 mbps.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not that great considering its LTE.
    Is that AT&T or verizon? Do you live in a network congested area?
    Also try the speed tests at various different times of the day.
    I noticed early in the morning I get better speeds than at night for some reason.
    Find out how far the LTE tower is from your home or location.
    Speed will decrease with distance.

17. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Wilson Sleek 4G-v will work great for you and under $130

18. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6.86 download on LTE with 3 bars.

ATT. I live in the suburbs.

How do I find out how far?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It should list it on AT&T site with maps on where their LTE is available.
    If you're at the edge of their coverage area you might get slower than usual speeds.

20. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

the bars have nothing to do with what data strength you have. the bars are strictly for voice. it goes from left to right... call signal strength, carrier, data format. you eigther have LTE 100% or 0%, theres no in between. if no LTE is available it drops to the next best service available. i've been in supermarkets with not even 3g service but can still make a call.

21. pure3d2, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Electromagnetic radiation is everywhere. Light is electromagnetic radiation. I just wanted to clarify that before the crazies start saying stuff like cellphones give you cancer.

The short answer is, they don't cause cancer. The long answer is below.

The frequency at which cellphones operate are between 700MHz and 2600MHz. These are in the radio waves range. At 2600MHz, the wavelength is about 0.115 meters (about 4.5 inches) long, at 700MHz, the wavelength is about 0.43 meters (about 16.77 inches) long.

Now you're going to wonder what does wavelength/frequency have to do with anything? For an electromagnetic wave to cause cell damage, the frequency has to be high enough such that the wavelength is small enough to ionize tissue (namely DNA). Ultraviolet rays, X-rays, and gamma rays are in this harmful range because their frequencies are extremely high/short wavelength.

How does the wavelength affect tissue? If the wavelength is approximately the same width of the base pair molecules in a strain of DNA, the wave can potentially hit the molecules and knock them out. This potentially causes mutation in the DNA, which can lead to cancer.

If the frequency is low and thus the wavelength is longer, it just passes through without causing harm. In fact, the signal on the 700MHz band is often better than the signal on the 2600MHz band because having a lower frequency/longer wavelength allows it to pass through buildings, etc. more easily compared to the 2600MHz band.

Every few years, a group of quack doctors will publish a report that says a certain % of the people in their study got cancer from cellphones. Then not long afterwards, another group of doctors will publish a report which refutes this.

I'll give you an example, back when I was in college, I read this cellphone study which said that 2-3% of the people in this town who participated in the study developed a form of ear cancer. These people also happened to own cellphones and used them regularly. Later, I found out that this same town has historically had this form of ear cancer in 2-3% of its population (with or without the cellphone variable).

I can make it look like a certain percentage of people in my town who has developed or will develop a certain cancer and correlate it with cellphone use if you give me enough time and resources.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I really don't understand why you would want more at home. Get on WiFi. 6 mbps is still significantly better than what HSPA+ can achieve.

Where do you live?

23. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

AT&T is different than verizon when it comes to bars. At least here in austin. on my iPad LTE AT&T I get the same speed or close to it 2-5 bars. Where as my verizon LTE iphone 5 I get 10ish Mbps on 1 bar, 2 bars 15isb 3 20issh 4 25-30 5 30-40

It's weird. Might just be that AT&T has far less LTE devices on their network now.

Also on verizon if it has 2 bars it drains my battery more than 5 :(

25. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok now I'm super confused.

Is this true?

Then what determines LTE speeds?