How Can i break My contract and get an upgrade price when the new iphone comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willpower101, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. willpower101 macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2009
    I'm on the sprint hero right now. It's amazing, but I think the iphone might be better. (I'm using an iphone without service right now and like it a lot.)

    So if I sign up for a two year contract right now, the minimum they'll give me, when the iphone 4.0 comes out next summer what options will i have to get it without paying full retail price? Can I just pay the ETF and re-sign up? Or will I need to sell my phone and buy the new one retail?
  2. TSX macrumors 68030


    Oct 1, 2008
    Look at your TOS on your phone bill if it has changed since you signed your contract, then they have voided the contract.
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    You could probably break your contract that way but you probably won't get to keep your old number in that case.
    Yeah GLWT.
  4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    May 27, 2009
    You can't pay the ETF and resign up. After you break the contract and pay the ETF you have to wait I think 3 months (maybe a little shorter not 100% sure) before you can get a new contract. You can't just walk into a store cancel and resign up and get new customer pricing.

    Your better off just waiting till June or sign up now and pay full price for the new phone in June.
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I also think you are better off waiting.
  6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2008
    Is that just for AT&T? Because I asked whether I could break my Sprint contract then resign up without waiting and the employee said yes (granted they were a BestBuy employee, but there might be some merit?).
  7. willpower101 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2009
    I've done a couple hours worth of reading after I asked this question. The 90 days thing rang a bell from past info about sprint but I didn't see anything recently with att (not to say the info's not out there) so I wonder what their specific window is. (like how comcast wants you off specialty service for 120 days before you're eligible for another discount, god I'm glad isp's aren't on the contract system)

    I heard something about maybe a early upgrade fee? Similar to the etf? Anyone have DIRECT experience with that?

    I'm currently at the end of my sprint contract. I renewed with the hero, i'm in the 30 day window and I'm considering returning it to go with the iphone as I think android needs some improvement first. I'm never against paying an etf with either company, I just want to make sure I'm making the best long term decision.
  8. christyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 18, 2009
    Salt Lake
    I take it from what you've said that you can return the sprint phone and avoid the ETF to go to AT&T or stay with Sprint and cancel next year when the phone comes out?

    If that's the case, I would probably leave now get the 3GS and you would likely be able to do the early upgrade pricing in June/July which is $399/499 depending on the model and sell the 3GS to offset most of that cost.
  9. Outrigger macrumors 68000


    Dec 22, 2008
    sorry, but the OP would not be able to get an early upgrade pricing only 8 months into his contract. The early upgrade pricing given to 3G owners who wanted to upgrade to 3GS were on a minimum of $99/month plan and about a year into their contract, and MANY people were denied while some got through, so I would not bet on this happening to the OP just because it happened to a handful of people this June who were already a year into their plan.
  10. christyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 18, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Sorry, but you didn't actually read what I said.

    I explained to the OP that you can get an "early upgrade" that is $399/$499 pricing instead of having to pay the full retail pricing. It's still a price break vs what it is retail, since yes, obviously he wouldn't qualify for a fully subsidized phone 8 months into the contact.

Share This Page