How can I buy a 5k/i7/8GB/M395X iMac before Wednesday in the UK?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by booyah2014, Jan 10, 2016.

1. booyah2014 macrumors member

So I'm after the following iMac spec:

27" 5K
    4.0GHz i7 Quad Core (turbo boost 4.2GHZ)
    8GB RAM
    256GB Flash storage
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB

Basically everything is "top spec" except for the RAM and the storage. It retails at £2249 in the UK on Apple UK's site.

The problem is, after I've configured it the earliest delivery dates shown are 15th Jan - 19th Jan. I really need it before Wednesday (13th) but nowhere else seems to stock i7 model 27" 5K iMacs (I've tried Amazon, PC World etc - they only stock i5 iMacs).

I've looked at pickup in store for the spec I want, but they all say "deliver to store" and nothing available.

Is there any way I can get the spec I want, new, before Wednesday in the UK?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your best bet is to buy a stock configuration. Sorry to state the obvious, but if apple gives you an estimate beyond this week, then you have to alter that configuration.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Short of ringing around all the apple stores and seeing if they are keeping any non-standard ones in stock, or buying what you want second hand off ebay, then no.

4. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

If you really _need_ it by a certain date, why didn't you order one earlier? :)

The best bet is to look on the second hand market

5. amzchhabra macrumors regular

i ordered a BTO machine on friday, my estimated delivery was 15-19th Jan, but looking at the UPS details, it appears to be arriving on the 12th...

Granted the BTO order of mine is not the same as yours but Apple are usually quicker than their estimates. It may be worth calling your local store to see if they can do anything?

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'd be very surprised if you were to find that spec elsewhere I'm afraid, especially the stores you have tried so far.

7. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

Yeah, buyers for that specific spec sheet is probably not large enough to warrant keeping one in stock...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be sure Apple is very conservative with their estimates, but it all boils down to the OP's needs. If the th13 date date, is hard and fast, then a stock configuration is his best bet of making that date. 2 days for a BTO order seems ridiculously short :)

9. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

If he got cash to burn He could order a stock configuration and also order a BTO-configuration as he wants it, use the 14 day grace period to ship the first one back as soon as the second arrives. At least in Sweden,and I believe in the rest of the EU, Apple allows you to try a computer ordered on the online store for 14 days and if not satisfied ship it back (if still in good condition). That way he could have a "stand in" while waiting for the real one to arrive

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep he could do that, get one from the store to use until the BTO ordered one comes in, then take back the store bought one for a refund.