How can I buy an unlocked iPhone 5 (A1429)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profinite, Dec 16, 2012.

1. profinite macrumors member

The unlocked iPhone 5 sold in the U.S. is Model A1428 that has LTE Bands 4 & 17.
    When traveling outside the U.S., you would need an unlocked GSM Model A1429 to be on LTE Bands 1, 3, and 5.

Is it possible to purchase an unlocked Model A1429? If so, how? :cool:

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

From a country which sells the model you need. Contact a friend overseas or see if you can come to an agreement with a trustworthy person from the marketplace here.

3. profinite thread starter macrumors member

macingman – Thank you for reminding me of the age-old friend approach. As funny as it may sound, I had completely overlooked this route.

I will do this right now. Thanks again for the tip! :);)

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

You can also purchase the Verizon model A1429 here in the US. The GSM / LTE SIM is unlocked. You will not be able to use the CDMA on any carrier but Verizon but due to the Verizon purchase of spectrum they are required to provided their Verizon model A1429 GSM / LTE unlocked here in the US.

Dave

5. profinite thread starter macrumors member

dave006 – You are precisely right!

The only reason why I am staying with AT&T is because I have been grandfathered into the Unlimited Data Plan. I am certainly aware that AT&T is under no legal obligation to continue offering me the unlimited data plan. If AT&T terminates the unlimited data plan for all early subscribers, then it will make sense for me to jump to Verizon.

Many friends tell me that the Verizon network is more robust than AT&T.