How can I buy iPhone 5 device only in Manhattan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Virgo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I tried going to the apple store yesterday morning to buy a 16gb att iPhone 5 device only and they said they didn't know when they'd be getting another shipment. They told me to do an online reservation at 10pm for in store pickup the next day, but I wasn't able to bypass the step where you choose carrier details (I want to use it unlocked via tmobile). Am I just screwed into waiting until late next month?

2. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Anyone? It's kind of annoying because last year with the 4S, I was able to reserve one online and pay in store the next day, in person. No such luck this time...

3. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Stores usually open at 8am. Wait in line before they open, there will be a line and its first come first serve. I'd try to be there by 6am to get the spot.

4. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Buy one on ebay. It will arrive at your door.

5. dsciel macrumors regular

this method failed this year. First come first serve through online reservation only... i was thinking about the same and went to a store this
    morning before they open. they told me, they do not have anything for walk in, all reserved through online reservation.

6. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Yeah, I went to the upper west side store and they had a sign posted saying there are limited quantities for walk ins, yet the salesperson I spoke with said they didn't have anything, and they would get shipments at random times (not every day). I don't want to keep going for nothing, it's ridiculous. They should have reservations for device only's too.

7. lamenramen macrumors regular

It is a wild wild west out there. People should join with us full price buyers and absolutely boycott contracts. Carriers I am sure of it are unethical and the only leverage we have is to not be tied to a contract. They are afraid of the commodization of cell phone service. They have already lost voice minutes revenue. If more people go prepaid that would help force change.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Demand is unbelievable and supply has not caught up yet. Go with reservation as you will be notified as soon as delivery is made. Waiting outside store is a waste of time.

9. truelies macrumors regular

But how to do reservation for a device only iphone 5?

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Perfect opportunity to leave town and take a break from the jungle.

11. kofman13 macrumors member

hey guys im really confused. some people say yes some people say no.. can people buy iphone 5 OFF contract without being a ATT/Verizon customer yet?..... from an apple store

12. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

I don't think you can do this in NYC. I just tried at the 5th Ave Apple Store. I asked if they had any in stock and the first question he asked me was if I was getting a contract. He said they only have stock to sell with a contract, they will not sell it as device only. Even if I already had an AT&T account, they would only sell it as upgrade with a contract (I guess if you're not qualified for an upgrade, then they'll sell it to you for full price).

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I think they are trying to avoid selling to resellers from foreign countries at this point.

By requiring a contract, mostly legitimate customers will buy them. Otherwise you'd get the people coming in and buying iPhones to resell, and there'd be a lot less stock for real customers.

Give it some time, they'll start selling direct with no contract soon.

14. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Still no luck over 2 weeks later.. Crazy how they can turn a blind eye to legit customers who want to use the device on T-Mobile. Does anyone remember how long it took them last year with the 4S to come out with factory unlocked versions on apple.com? Although it will probably take them even longer this year for the 5.

Yeah I might wind up doing this, I wonder if I'd have better luck in DC or somewhere (excuse to visit family..). Hell I'd even try Jersey *shudder* I just want my phone already..

15. davedvdy macrumors regular

It depends on the store and the shipment because I know earlier last week the employees handed out a few tickets to people who got there an hour early (Beverly Center, Los Angeles location). The Grove took about 15 ppl one day too.

That being said, it can still be a waste of time. The stores DO NOT get every model in and if they only had a small shipment, u can still be out of luck getting there early.

16. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

One month, if I recall correctly. The thing is, this year all full priced phones should be unlocked. There just aren't enough of them to go around.

17. at7 macrumors newbie

You can ONLY IF they have one in stock. But at the online store (for both ship and in-store pickup), you cannot bypass choosing a carrier, which means you basically have to sign up 2-year contract. Device only is an option you can choose ONLY at a retail store ONLY when they have one in stock until Apple officially starts selling sim free ones like 4S.