How Can i Change Permissions to "Read all Write all" Globally on my external HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by avpmusik, Oct 20, 2010.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

So heres the deal..

i used to have a bunch of files on my hard drive before i sold my mac pro
    i backed everything up on an external hard drive so i can keep it until i received my imac. now i have my imac, and when i try to transfer over the files to my imac, or another external hard drive, sometimes the copying stops and says something along the lines of "you do not have permission to copy this file"

so i guess some of my files got messed up, putting them in "Read only" mode.
    i know i can go to "Get info" and then manually change it to "read and write" mode but honestly theres so many files it would take a lot of time.

is there a script, or an app i can run that could scan my whole external hard drive so it will go thru each file in their own specific folder and change the permissions to "read all write all" without me doing it manually one by one?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Select HDD > GET INFO > change permissions for user to what you want it to be, click that red "circled" icon in the image below and the blue option I highlighted and put a red rectangle around.

[​IMG]

3. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

thank you!

quick question.

i have a box (which is currently checked) that says
    "Ignore ownership on this volume" .. should i leave this checked?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to use that HDD on other Macs with different users than on you Mac, then leave it checked.

5. gugukrez macrumors newbie

i having difficulty change it and my external hardisk is

sharing& Permissons:
    You only can read

zzzz:mad:

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Are you sure the external disk is not NTFS formatted? OSx can read NTFS but not write to it.