How can I change the provider who supplies my IMAP email?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by icebergx, Jan 2, 2014.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,

My friend and I set up an email and domain name for a project we were working on. I would now like to retain this email address for other use and my friend is OK with this and doesn't need it any longer.

The problem is that the fee that the email provider is charging seems to be a little steep (over $100 in local currency for a year.)
    How can I change provider without any downtime? Are there any providers people can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Find a different host, one who offers IMAP email (many, if not most, do), and transfer your domain to that host. You should be able to find something for about half what you're paying now.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In order to have your mail for a given domain sent to a different provider, you update the MX (mail exchanger) records with your DNS provider.

Keep access to the old server during the transition and no mail should be lost.

B

4. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Great!
    It a danish (.dk) email address. Does that make a difference? Are there any particular providers you can recommend? Will they be able to advise me how to change over?

Thanks again

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

$100/year may or may not be out of line depending on the options you have chosen, such as multilayer antivirus scanning and storage allocation.

In any case, my highest recommendation for a supplier is luxsci.com. Just superb service. I used to run my own domains' email server but when the spam and malware era started it became simply too much trouble. Luxsci does the job brilliantly, and when I have a question it's answered very, very quickly. Great group.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note also that you can still use Google Apps as an option, it will just cost you $50/year/user which if there is only one user (even with many different <email>@domain.dk aliases) this will still cut your yearly bill in half.

B

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know if the .dk TLD makes a difference from a hosting standpoint, but I do know that I couldn't recommend a host in your area, since I don't know of any. I do know for that a US domain it's pretty simple, I don't see why it would be any different in Europe.

9. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

I just have a basic service with 10gb "web space," 30gb of "email space" and 15 email addresses, so nothing major. I'll check out Luxsci for sure. Thanks.

This looks pretty interesting as I'm the only person that will be using this email address, and it's not my primary. So with this option, all I have to do is renew my domain name subscription? Can I do that without going through my original provider? Originally we just bought an "all-in-one" solution.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In my experience moving a domain will require you to have access to the old registrar and DNS provider. So you would need to have that access, but you should be able to transfer and renew your domain to a registrar of your choice.

I've also got a domain set up on Microsoft Office 365 for which we transferred the DNS to Microsoft for ease of administration. This seems similar to the Outlook.com setup. Anotehr article I saw implied that Microsoft allowed 500 separate mailboxes on domains configured this way.

B

11. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this. I'm in the process of migrating to microsoft's online email server. Is it still possible to link Outlook to the email server so that it remains my primary means of receiving and sending email? i.e. Not having to log in to a web interface every time I want to check my email?

Thanks again for all your help.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

13. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm getting a bit lost now.

I understand that I have to change my MX Server, but the only place I can find to do this is when I log in to my "web hosting" account. Will I still need to pay for web hosting? I don't have a website for the domain and have no plans to set one up. I just want to migrate my email to Microsoft's online server.

Can't I just pay for the domain name and utilise Microsoft's online server?

Thanks again for all your help.