How can I charge up my MBP in my car (UK) ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jennyp, Mar 30, 2011.

1. jennyp macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, need some advice. I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (mid 2009 model), and I'm wondering if there's something I can use to charge up its integral battery in my car while I'm driving. I know next to nothing about electronics! I live in the UK so maybe there's a difference there for electrical products. Is there something I can just plug into the cigar lighter and then into the MBP and have it charge up? Has to be safe - I love my MBP! :)

2. jennyp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yikes! that was quick! Thanks! Looks good -it says "compatible with APPLE MacBook 13' MA Series" - is that mine?

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The 60W charger will work with all 13" MacBook Pros.

4. jennyp thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that looks good too! Which to get?! I know there's something about my car's battery that means it doesn't have a lot of power to spare, if that makes sense.. I once got the battery flat by playing music through my iPhone with the engine off :)

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

One way is a power inverter - you can get one from Halfords or maybe even maplin.

Maybe £25 to £50 but you need all of your regular house charger too.

Or this would be much simpler, but I don't know if they are still selling it:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/17493...tml?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:17493075|prd:17493075

Your car will output 11-16.5v through the cigar lighter depending on accessory load (aircon, lights, stereo) but is probably best to have it unplugged when starting the car up and off charge whilst the engine is off because you don't want a charged Macbook and a car that isn't starting.

*Damn my typing and researching was too slow!

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You'll be ok if you only charge it when the engine is running.

7. jennyp thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't know which one to pick so I guess I'll just eeny meeny miny mo! Thanks tons guys!