How can I connect my two DVI/DisplayPort monitors to my Touch Bar MacBook Pro with USB-C ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LiemTa, Mar 24, 2017.

1. LiemTa macrumors 6502

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you have two ports available, the simplest things would be to get two USB-C-to-DP cables. (Make sure they carry enough bandwidth for your monitors.) If you need one of the ports for charging, you'll can use a dock that has a DP port and a USB-C power pass-though. Amazon is a good place to search, because the reviews usually give a good idea which equipment works best.

3. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

4. Eerriikkoo macrumors newbie

Depending on your usecase and your monitor, you need to figure out if the cable or adapter you're going to buy will be able to deliver 60hz. Some cables are limited to 30hz @4k for instance. Displayport should be able to handle 60hz but I am not sure about alieexpress stuff.
    I use a club3d usb c to displayport adapter and a branded dp cable and it works fine with my Dell 2560*1440 monitor @60hz.
    Good luck.

5. DRDR macrumors member

https://www.startech.com/de/AV/Konverter/Video/Thunderbolt-3-auf-Dual-DisplayPort~TB32DP2

Works fine with my Macbook Pro 13 NTB. You have to enable Thunderbolt 3 support for the used chipset first:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/is-anyone-successfully-running-an-egpu-with-10-12-3-beta/#post-1639

I am running a Cinema Display 27 LED and a LG 4K display with this adapter. After much trial this works the best, although the necessary hacking (which is really easy and still works with the macOS beta versions) might give a contrary impression at first.

Farb-LCD:
    Displaytyp: Integriertes Retina-LCD-Display
    Auflösung: 2560 x 1600 Retina
    Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
    Synchronisierung: Aus
    Eingeschaltet: Ja
    Rotation: Unterstützt
    Helligkeit automatisch anpassen: Ja
    Verbindungstyp: DisplayPort
    LG Ultra HD:
    Auflösung: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
    Pixeltiefe: 30-Bit Farbe (ARGB2101010)