Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I have a good turntable and probably 50-60 albums I would like to convert to digital so I can put them in iTunes and then my iPod.
If I can get it to work, my parents have a few hundred that I would like to be able to burn to CD for them.

Anyone done this? What software would be good for OS X to do this? I have a 400mhz slot loading iMac, so not sure how good the sound card is.
I don't need super-audiophille quality, I just would like to be able to listen to my old albums.

I found this website:
http://www.the-erm.com/converttapetomp3.htm

and it had some good ideas, but it was Windows and I am trying not to use Windows unless I have to (work).

I don't mind buying some software, but I am not looking to spend more than $100 or so.

Any help is appreciated.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
LP's

Toast 5 and 6 do this while removing crackles and help improve quality. The actual application is CD Spin Doctor(2), but it is bundled with Toast. There are probably other, but I do not know what they are:D

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
First you have to plug the turntable into the iMac--and I don't think they have an audio-in. Griffin makes something called iMic that will take a 1/8" jack and plug into a USB port. It works okay but I tend to get clicks on my recordings with it. To record you have a few options. I use Bias Peak but there's Audacity, Sound Studio, and countless other programs that will do it. Clicks and pops can be edited out after, and it's easier with some programs than others--so try a few. You can also eq and otherwise clean up the recording. Once you're happy with it, save it as an aiff and import it to iTunes--then you can do whatever you want to with it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: How can I convert albums to mp3s?

Originally posted by jayb2000

I don't mind buying some software, but I am not looking to spend more than $100 or so.

you're going to have to buy some hardware. $100 isn't much, and for analog->digital converters, you get what you pay for.

good ones start around $800.

Anna

macrumors regular
May 25, 2003
Australia
Just use the iMic if you dont have audio in, if you do, you just need a mini jack to mini jack connection. Use soundstudio to record the trax. Then you can convert from the wav file to MP3 or AAC.

Good luck

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Re: LP's

Originally posted by Edot
Toast 5 and 6 do this while removing crackles and help improve quality. The actual application is CD Spin Doctor(2), but it is bundled with Toast. There are probably other, but I do not know what they are:D

That sounds like what I was looking for.
I have an cable that should plug into the iMac's microphone port.

Wouldn't that do it?
Anyone?

Thanks for the help so far.

Slightly related, since the iMac does not have a burner, anyone particularly happy6 (or unhappy) with external CD/DVD burners?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: Re: LP's

Originally posted by jayb2000
That sounds like what I was looking for.
I have an cable that should plug into the iMac's microphone port.

Wouldn't that do it?
Anyone?

Thanks for the help so far.

Slightly related, since the iMac does not have a burner, anyone particularly happy6 (or unhappy) with external CD/DVD burners?

I don't think the output of a phonograph would be compatible with a mic jack. I'm trying to recall a past experience of doing something like this, and I'm vaguely remembering details (it was about 20 years ago).

What you may be able to do to keep the sound clean is use a USB video capture device and only use the audio ports. Connect the phonograph to your receiver, and if your receiver has them, use the line out to the line in of the video capture device.

Never tried this before, but it seems doable.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Re: Re: LP's

Originally posted by tomf87
I don't think the output of a phonograph would be compatible with a mic jack. I'm trying to recall a past experience of doing something like this, and I'm vaguely remembering details (it was about 20 years ago).

What you may be able to do to keep the sound clean is use a USB video capture device and only use the audio ports. Connect the phonograph to your receiver, and if your receiver has them, use the line out to the line in of the video capture device.

Never tried this before, but it seems doable.

That may be right. I beleive the line output from most turntables is lower than the usual level. It might make sense to run a turntable into your amp/receiver, and then use the headphones out jack to plug into the imac. a hassle, yes, but you're doing it only once.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I would buy a semi-cheap audio interface that works with USB, maybe something made by Roland. Then you can use a freeby recording program like Spark ME, or pay to get something more full-featured (which you likely don't need). With something like SPark you can record a whole side of a record, and then chop itinto individual tracks. Save those as AIFF files, which can be imported into iTunes using the Add To Library function in the File menu. Burn straight to audio CD, or to conserve space, convert to MP3s (which are lower quality than full CD quality, but take up way less space).

It's really pretty easy, and quite cheap. A $35 Griffin iMic _might_ be good enough for your needs, but I would spend a few more bucks for a slightly better USB audio interface. Again, you won't have to spend a cent on software if you don't want.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by Nicky G
It's really pretty easy, and quite cheap. A $35 Griffin iMic _might_ be good enough for your needs, but I would spend a few more bucks for a slightly better USB audio interface. Again, you won't have to spend a cent on software if you don't want.

The iMic will do the trick. Most likely your turntable is RCA(left/right) and all you need is a Y-Adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_003_001_010&product_id=274-369

It's cheap and will get the job done BUT if you want to spend alittle more than the iMic is not a bad way to go.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html

I use to dj (still do as hobby) and have TONS of albums. I need to do the same at some point.

Good Luck!
~e

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: LP's

You wont be able to go directly from your turntable to your mac. Turntables need phono amps to get them to line level. But it's not a big deal.

Plug your turntable into your stereo, or whatever you are currently playing through, and then use the Tape Outs to get a line level signal to your mac.

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
That may be right. I beleive the line output from most turntables is lower than the usual level. It might make sense to run a turntable into your amp/receiver, and then use the headphones out jack to plug into the imac. a hassle, yes, but you're doing it only once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.