How can I convince my dad that buying myself a MacBook is a good idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by booste, Apr 4, 2009.

1. booste macrumors member

booste

So, I really, really am looking at getting a 2.0 uni MacBook... But I have to get my dad to let me buy one = /

I'm getting into programming, i'm in an "acadamy" at my school for game programming, it's double the time of a normal class and costs $400 a year (If you've ever heard of the company, they're called DigiPen, based in Washington somewhere) They run these academies in many schools in the US and my school is the first in Canada to offer it. Anyways, were learning how to program and whatnot and are making a graphical Pong game right now. Sometimes we have to spend time at home working on this stuff and the computer I have access to that is capable of doing this work is ALWAYS in use from the time I get home until about 9 pm and i'm getting really tired of having to do what i need to do at night all the time. So if I were to get this laptop it would help a lot! not to mention, I could use it at school as well, making it easier to work on it in 2 places.

Ok, anyways, the laptop would help all of my classes too with reports, essays and etc.

And obviosly it would be great for entertainment too...

I also want to try iPhone programming... And possibly work on getting something into the app store.

But, getting back to the point, how can I convince my dad that I should be allowed to buy myself this device, should I bring up the fact that since we moved into our new house with my step mom + brothers I've only really had things taken away and been given more responsibilities. (I know that getting more responsibilities is normal and whatever but when we moved in I got my TV and computer that were my dads but I had them in my room taken away because it was "unfair" to the other kids) I'm the oldest in my family but I only have the same privileges as my 12 year old brother (Im 16).

Sorry for length of this post... But how should I bring the subject up and convince him it's a good idea...

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Just list the reasons why you want to get it. I wouldn't mention your getting more responsibilities and less privileges. Approach this like an adult.

That is... you're buying it with your own money, right?

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Before my parents bought me my first car, I had to prove I was responsible... but I can only share my expereince. If your Dad has the money for it, prove you will be responsible. Don't screw up.

4. booste thread starter macrumors member

booste

Yeah, it's my money...

Also, sorry my post sounds immature...

5. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I remember my younger sister getting a cell phone at an age younger than I was when I got mine, so I can see where you're coming from. I think that the fact that you have the money and you have a purpose for getting it could be pretty convincing to your dad. Have you proposed this purchase yet at all?

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Ah man, no one said your post sounds immature. If it's your money... then it's the same deal, just easier. Just prove you can be responsible, which you have... you've already been responsible enough to save for it.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Parents are suckers for the "it can run both OS's so I can learn how to program across the board!" line, whether it holds merit or not.:p

8. booste thread starter macrumors member

booste

I did bring up getting it about a week ago, but it just kind of disappeared from being talked about and I don't know how to bring it up again.

Yeah I'll try saying that, my dad is into programming a bit and I'm sure he'd love to try iPhone programming as well...

9. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I've been in your position before and I know parents are very tough to convince. Sometimes they just don't understand what you plan on doing with it and it's a lot of money.

However, you're in a good spot - you have several legitimate reasons to want a MacBook, and you're buying it with your own money.

Tips:

1. Instill it in them that you're paying - it will be your responsibility to pay for the MB.

2. Tell them frankly what you intend on using it for and why you need it

3. Pick a decent time to talk about it. I suggest over dinner.

4. Don't annoy or pester - that upsets them

5. Try to make it seem like a good choice for the future.

This could lead to success. Try it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I should note that the odds shift drastically when said parent is technically proficient :eek:

11. txnoob macrumors 6502

Yeah, I mean you know dad best right. Just look for the angles that he would agree with and hope any other logic doesn't weigh heavier.

12. eddieblock macrumors member

you are 16 ! just go and buy it ! it's your money !

13. booste thread starter macrumors member

booste

Except it's in a bank account... and I want to order a refurb so I'd need to get it off of the apple website with a credit card.

14. bori macrumors member

You could actually bring him into an Apple Store and show him the benefits of a Mac?

15. booste thread starter macrumors member

booste

Well I 'tried' talking to my dad just now... But I got laughed at...

My dad always just ignores me when I ask him questions and it is really pissing me off... I can't have a conversation with him about this because I can't ask any questions. And he always makes me feel like an idiot when I have an idea...

I really don't know hw, if at all possible to talk to him about this.

16. SirJ macrumors member

To the OP:

Hey man, I was (and sort of still am) in your situation. As a teenage computer dude (you're into programming while I do a lot of math-related stuff and some programming as well) I know your pain and can sympathize with your situation.

However

I'd suggest you wait out on getting a macbook. I assume you're going to want to go to college after secondary school (high school)? If so then you're going to want the best computer you can get if you're going to be in a computer science field. By the time you go off to college (2011-2012?) you'll be able to get quad-core processors in a MBP and maybe even the Westmere shrink will be out by then. Technology will make the machines of today laughably outdated and, if you buy a macbook now, you'll want to upgrade before you go to college.
    As a senior in high school I've been wanting my own computer for a long time and have been lured by the attraction of macs. Security, Stability, and all the other reasons to choose OSX - over the course of two years - won over my dad and I convinced him to order a refurb 2.4 macbook for me. If I hadn't held out I'd be using a 2.4 white or blackbook with intel graphics and DDR2 memory with an 800MHz FSB. All of that is now obsolete with the current gen macbooks, though those will soon be obsolete as well.
    My point is this: your dad knows something you don't. If you search the forums you'll see that recently I tried to convince my dad to let me buy a macbook air with my own money. I talked to him about it and we discussed the issue and he ended up explaining why he didn't want me to get it and I completely agree with him now. It's saving me around $1000 - money that I'm going to need for one of the biggest expenses of my life.
    You're only 16. Granted I'm only 18. Trust me, though, you don't need your own computer right now. It's going to suck waiting that long, but in the end you're going to have another $1000 saved to either use on a new and better computer or buy a year's worth of books at college.

In my spare time I work as a teller at a bank. The past few years in particular people have been taking out money for things they want but don't need and then they're shocked when they find out just how little they have. Save your money for the things you need - there may be an emergency that comes up or you may meet a great girl and want to take her to a nice dinner on the town. Either way you'll be able to make due on another machine for the time being and when you get a computer for college your dad may even pitch in some money to help you out.

Good things come to those who wait. Even though it's painstaking to be patient it will benefit you.

That's my advice. I will admit I'm not nearly as experienced and wise as many of the adults who post here, but I though perhaps as a fellow student I could offer some advice.

Good luck in your interests!

17. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Maybe if you made a deal where you could get a part time job or a paper route and used that money to buy a mac, your dad would listen.

Getting a used netbook and going the hackintosh route for 2-300 usd may also be something your dad may consider.

Emphasize that it's not a toy, but a tool for school. Show him what's being sold on the app store on itunes, and let him know that you need a mac to write for that platform, and he may consider that.

No access to a computer for schoolwork until 9 p.m.? WTF? What is the family system being used for until 9 p.m.?

Would a late edition g4 laptop work for what you need it to do?

19. txnoob macrumors 6502

Yeah, why not consider a nice used G4 notebook like clyde has. Or even a used windows Notebook just to tie you over. Maybe there's some big scandle to actually buy you one themselves when you graduate and that's why they are holding you at bay now.