How can I convince my Dad to let me get the iphone 3GS??? Like seriously?!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdee4, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee4 macrumors regular

I want to upgrade my iphone to the iphone 3GS and my mom says I can get it but my Dad says NO WAY.

What should I say to him to convince him to let me get it?????

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: I have the money for the iphone 3GS and that's why I need your help. My Dad won't let me spend my own money on it but my mom doesn't care and that's where I need the help. How can I convince him to let me get the phone with MY OWN money?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Get a job, pay for the iPhone and plan yourself. He can't say no.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Get a job and pay for the upgrade yourself.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

*hands the OP a flame proof suit and 10 foot pole* :eek:

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Dunno. Maybe something like: "I just got a job"?

You do know it's not just the purchase price, but a commitment for an additional $10+/mo? (coming from a 2G)

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Agreed. Be happy you even have a cell phone let alone an iPhone.

8. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

all the above is correct. the only way you'll get it is getting a job and making enough, that's what my brother just had to do, to convince dad. I would've but No :)

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Perhaps, if you agreed to move out and stop mooching off your Dad?

10. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Entire Guide

Well... There's not a HUGE difference between the two and I don't really see what you need the 3GS for if you already have the 3G. But anyways, if you REALLY need it badly then think up the usual reasons:

Productivity: When you list all the amazing things it does such as help with homework, and all of the great productive things it can do, that is a sure score with parents.

Differences: Tell them how much better the 3GS is and how much it would improve your life and how much it will improve your attitude.

Money: There is a much bigger chance of you getting it, if YOU pay for it instead of your parents. Parents highly dislike it when their child is technologically dependent and will not tolerate spending hard earned money just for a few more features. If YOU pay for it then your parents will notice how much more grown-up your being. You have to assure them that it is something that you want to spend your money on and that they shouldn't worry. After all, it is YOUR money.

Delivery: Make sure you talk about it to the parent when they are relaxed, calm and very happy. The best delivery line is:

There are many things that can make me happy and improve my life, and instead of me receiving many different expensive items, I could just get the iPhone 3GS, saving my hard-earned pocket money.

(YOUR CHANCE WILL BE MUCH HIGHER IF YOU PAY FOR IT!!!!)

if none of this works just chill with your iPhone 3G. Having the old thing and saving money is way smarter and cooler.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you are young enough that your parents are deciding on, and paying for your iPhone, and if you already have an older one, then the one you have is good enough, period. Kids these days seem to think they are entitled to every single gadget that comes out, then every version of the gadget. Today's youth has no concept of saving or sacrifice. As others have said, if you must upgrade, pay for it yourself.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dont get a 3gs even if you get a job.....why work for a while to pay more for a phone that is nearly identical to what you have now

sure the 3gs is better but seriously, its not like the user experience will be totally different either

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

From the sounds of it, you are better off working with your mother. Dad's don't know the word "YES"....:(:(:(

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Talk to Grammy too:D
    Maybe she will convince him.......

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As others have said, it would probably be best to get as much money together as you can and ask again....whether through a job or not

I do think a lot of people are throwing rocks at glass houses with the big bag "Stop leeching off your parents" talk since I am sure many here were bought and given many things by their parents. I know, I know...some will say they bought everything, etc....right :rolleyes:

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its alot more satisfying paying for things you want yourself as opposed to your parents as you will then appreciate it more

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean my parents pay for my cell phone bill, but:
    A. I paid for the phone
    B. I have a job
    C. My parents have a large AT&T Discount b/c of a corporate plan, so things like texting or heavily discounted via the family plan
    D. I don't complain about not having an iPhone
    E. I am responsible (up until this past weekend, I had gone five years without doing anything harmful to a phone)
    F. If I needed to reimburse them, I am financially capable of
    G. I don't use the phone excessively, i.e. never racking up ridiculous texting bills...

But, even with all of said things above, I will (likely) still get flamed for posting things. Without knowing your parents and the details of your situations, as well as your father's objections, the people on this forum can probably not help, instead they will just mock you.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

OP is kinda quiet. Must have run out interweb privileges?

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Forgot to ask; is DAD the primary account holder? If the answer is yes, then that could be a problem....:eek::eek::eek:

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

by golly, i didnt get a cell phone till i was 17 and it was a cell phone that had no display, incapable of texting lol

22. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

In this topic: People bitching because someone younger than them has a iPhone.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

1. Save up for the upgrade yourself.
    2. Sell your current iPhone for the amount you payed for the upgrade

You're lucky you have an iPhone. And you don't have to pay for your plan.

An iPhone is an iPhone.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol so true. this always arises with apple products

we should make the forum min age of 21 so this talk of being priveledged will lessen lol

you arent thankful?

that comment reminds me of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzrXPtUU78

25. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Like omg tell him your bff has one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.