How can I delete a podcast but prevent it from returning as a potential download?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oxband, Aug 19, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

When I download a podcast I subscribe to, I listen to it and delete it. But when my podcast gets refreshed, all the old and potentially downloadable episodes come up. This makes it close to impossible to keep track of what I already listened to. Is there anyway to ensure something I already listened to doesn't return? Or some other workaround for this problem?

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Check your podcast download settings. After I watch a video podcast, it deletes itself the next day and does not re-download ever.

Attached Files:

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

The issue isn't that it's re-downloading. But when I am looking at a podcast and it shows old episodes, an episode I have already downloaded but deleted comes back up as a potential download (with that little cloud icon by it). I dont want to see it come up again as a possible download after I watch it. This way I can keep track of what I've watched. can I do that?

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Ah, thanks for clarifying. If you're talking about iTunes, check the Unplayed box.

Attached Files:

5. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

This doesn't solve my problem. If I download a podcast, listen, and then delete it, when the podcast list becomes refreshed, the podcast gets listed again as one I haven't yet downloaded, appearing with the cloud icon next to it. I dont want that to happen since I can't remember if I've listened to it before. I listent to a lot of them. How can I stop that? Grr.....

6. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Good question! Same problem with Kindle Books whether already read as a sample or full book. Cannot remove them totally.

7. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Try unchecking the iCloud box shown in the screen shot.

Attached Files:

8. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I'm almost out of ideas. When I watch a podcast, I always let it play all the way to the end (then iTunes automatically deletes it as I've specified). When you're done watching/listening, try letting it go to the very end then iTunes will return to the main screen or continue with another podcast. See if that makes the cloud icon stay away.

10. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I always manually delete. But that's cause I often put it on my ipod. I'll try that though. When you do that, you never see it return as a potential download?

I hate all these itunes updates. Grr....!

11. Viremia macrumors regular

I'm having a similar problem, but haven't figured out how to correct it.

I subscribed to a new podcast after the latest version of iTunes came out. Now, it download all the old episodes (from over 2 years ago to the most recent episode) every day. Even though I mark all the old episodes as played. Even though I finally relented and let it download all the old episodes and THEN marked them all as being played. Even though I've listened to the entirety of the last 3 episodes, it still relists all the episodes available (with the cloud icon) from the most recent to the oldest and then downloads them the next day.

I've got the settings for it set to default and none of my other podcasts have this problem. I know my way around iTunes and have all the appropriate boxes checked and dropdowns selected.

I'm pretty much fed up with iTunes for podcast use. Apple have seriously screwed it up and I'm tired of the constant hassle.

12. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

You know....I hadnt considered using another platform, but I think that's what I'll do. It really is annoying how complicated and not user-friendly it is

13. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yes, this works for me. I watch the podcast, let it finish, and I have iTunes set to auto delete. Also, I have cloud downloads hidden as in the screen shot above and I get (what I think) is the result you desire.