How can I dipslay the 'hidden' contetnts of a driver DVD-ROM (non OS X drivers)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ocean Sea, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Ocean Sea macrumors newbie

I have a printer driver DVD-ROM that has drivers for Windows and Linux as well as OS X. I would like to access to other systems drivers using OS X. However when I insert the DVD into my Mac it only displays the OS X contents.

How can I access the hidden files? (GUI method if possible) Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to Applications / Utilities / Terminal and enter the following via COPY and PASTE:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Relaunch Finder via :apple: > Force Quit (Option/Alt + Command + Escape) or holding down the Option/Alt key while clicking the Finder icon in the Dock and holding down the mouse button to open the context menu with the Relaunch item.

To hide the files again:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles [B]NO[/B]

3. Ocean Sea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks spinnerlys. I am guessing this will display all the '.dsstore' and other hidden system files through out the OS X system. Is there any neater way, more focused on the DVD drive?

For example in WIndows XP when a DVD is inserted if you hold down the shift key it prevents any auto-run apps on the DVD from running. I was hoping there would be some thing on those lines.

How does OS X know that the other drivers are not to be displayed? I have copied folders from Winows XP and OS X has displayed files like Thumbs.db and other non OS X files.

I was guessing there was an auto-run app on the DVD rom that tells OS X what to display?

Don't get me wrong. Your Terminal solution is appreciated and I will (try) use it if nothing easier turns up. (I'm not a very confidant Terminal user!). Thanks again.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know of a way to focus the ShowHiddenFiles command on files on the DVD only, but this command is quite easy to implement, even for Terminal novices, I used it and I'm not quite sure how to properly use Terminal myself.

As for focusing on the DVD and showing hidden files on it, you may be able to do that via searching the DVD via Finder and enabling the display of hidden and system files.

5. Ocean Sea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately it didn't solve my specific issue. However it is a very useful search method I never knew about. Thanks :)

"OS X 10.5 and later

1. With the Finder active, from the File menu, select Find... .

2. In the Searching window that opens, select how broad you want the search to be. For example, you can choose to search your entire Mac or just your home folder. In the pull-down menu labeled Kind, choose Other... , and in the sheet that appears, find and double-click File Invisible. In the pull-down menu to the right of the first one, select whether you are searching for Visible Items, Invisible Items, or both. The search will then begin.

3. To narrow your search, you can add additional search criteria, such as a filename, file size, or creation date. Each time you click the + (plus sign) on the right side of the search window, you will add another row to the search criteria.

To include operating system files, which are normally excluded from the search, click +, then in the pull-down menu labeled Kind, choose Other... . In the sheet that appears, find and double-click System Files. In the pull-down menu to the right of the first one, select whether or not you want to include system files in your search."

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you test the DVD with Windows, either on another PC or on your Mac via Virtual Machine or Boot Camp to see, if there even are Windows or Linux files on it?

Maybe check the GET INFO window of the DVD and see, if it is some kind of multi-session DVD.

7. Ocean Sea thread starter macrumors newbie

You know that's a very good point. I'm 99.9% sure there are ... but your right it worth knowing for sure.

I did that and interestingly enough it says the "Format" is "Mac OS Standard" (491MB )so I am guessing it may have a sort of "partition" on it? One that is "Mac OS Standard" that the Mac sees an loads up and the other for other OSs?

I then opened it in Disk Utility and its actually a CD-Rom!

I think an examination on a windows machine is required. Thanks.

8. Ocean Sea thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to load the disc on a Windows XP machine and I can confirm there are other drivers on the CD-ROM. Interestingly on the Windows computer, even with hidden files set to be displayed, there was no sign of the Mac OS X drivers !

So, I don't know whats going on.:confused: