How can I download (& not just view) a screencast with an address that starts rtsp://

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diamond Dave, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Diamond Dave macrumors member

Is it possible to download (& save to disk) a screencast/movie that's found at an internet address that starts rtsp:// (Real Time Streaming Protocol)?

When using either Safari or Firefox, pasting the address of the movie into the address field & pressing Return causes QuickTime Player to open, which then displays the movie.

Choosing Save As... in QuickTime Player gives an estimated file size of only 2.0 KB (for a 90 minute movie) next to the Save as a self-contained movie option, so clicking Save at this point clearly isn't going to work.

Obviously this sort of file isn't meant to be saved, only viewed, but does anyone know of any workarounds?

Many thanks.

2. Allan Todd macrumors newbie

Yes, it's real:) We have developed software for RTMP downloading, but I can't provide you with the link because I'm a representative of a company :):)

Also note that not all RTMP streams are downloadable.

3. Diamond Dave thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply Allan. Are you able to message me privately with a link to the software you mentioned?

Thanks.

4. GGJstudios, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A quick Google search revealed several possible solutions. I haven't tried them, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness or applicability.
    ScreenCap 2.PNG

5. jackrv macrumors 6502

You can also make an html page saved locally with an A HREF link to it . View it in a web browser, right click the link and save as...

This will work with almost any single file . I cant guarantee it will work with all streaming media but its worth a shot. If you have trouble making the html, i can post an.example when i get home. (im on my cellphone)

6. MathRulz macrumors regular

7. jackrv macrumors 6502

My bad... My post above probably will not work, as it looks like the file itself is just a pointer to a video, rather than the video itself, much like a Windows ASX or ASF file, where it is just a redirector to the actual file itself. The poster above me lists a solution but I have not tried it.

8. Allan Todd macrumors newbie

Thank you for sharing. I hope this help.

9. Diamond Dave thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. From reading through this it appears that the free version won't allow downloading an rtsp:// file but the paid for version will.

The file in question is just the WWDC screencast from August 7th 2006 - it's purely for my own amusement & not worth shelling out cash for, but at least I now know that it can be done.

I don't have the rtsp:// address of the file to hand at the moment (it's on another computer) but I'll post it here when I get the chance.

I don't suppose anyone has addresses for any of the other WWDCs, particularly the 2004 one?

Thanks.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

11. Diamond Dave thread starter macrumors member

I didn't ever figure it out, but in the end I didn't need to, since I found this:

http://stevenote.tv

All the keynotes are there!