Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knobtwiddler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Carbondale, IL
I've been wanting to make compilation videos for a while and need an app to save specific scenes from video files. If there is anything that can save scenes from all types of files (avi,mpg, vob/dvd etc) that would be best. I used to use dvdsrhink on windows for saving dvd scenes but no longer use a pc.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
There are certain DVD ripping apps that can rip just one chapter on the DVD. You might then have to crop it down a little more, but it would save you from having to rip the entire disc. No, I will not tell you which apps they are.

Is your p**n really that inaccessible right now? :p

knobtwiddler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Carbondale, IL
Hey, I enjoy my pron as much as the next guy, but actually, I'm trying to make a compilation of tom waits videos I have on the computer.

I know dvd2onex will do specific chapters but how do I select (or crop) certain parts. Like select from 2:51 to 6:45. Something like that. I already have visualhub for splicing the bits together. I just need to cut the bits out (like the audio program amadeus)

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Since you have Visual Hub, why don't you just dump all the files into VH, convert to DV and cut away in iMovie? Or did I miss something?

slosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
mactheripper for dvd chapter grabbing....

and as someone else said, mpegstreamclip is what you want--for setting in and out points and trimming down to your specific clip, on just about anything. you'll need the quicktime mpeg2 codec to load vob files into it. mpegstreamclip'll also demux vobs into mpeg2 and audio, which you can then bring into dvdstudiopro. it'll also let you do a lot of conversions.

also ffmegx is a good tool to have around, though it takes a lot of trial and error.

knobtwiddler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Carbondale, IL
Alright, thanks everyone. Looks like I've got an array of options now. It may take some converting, re-converting, etc but looks like I'm on my way. thanks

antony21

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Re:How can I extract specific scenes of video files?

I'd add Watermark Master to the list of programs for processing video files. Here there is an ability to extract scenes, to convert files into another format and many other useful features.

Very simple application

http://www.videocharge.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.