How can I fix corrupted .movs? - "Treasured" say they can fix, but are too pricey

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by knaupstarr, Apr 21, 2009.

1. knaupstarr macrumors newbie

I have about 20 .mov files (in an FCP capture scratch folder from an old project on a lacie drive that is about six years old, formatted Mac OS) that are corrupted. I have backed up the entire drive except those files which are giving me an error message that goes something like: "cannot copy this file because some of the data cannot be read or written." I can open the FCP project from the drive and the media is viewable there but whenever I try and export the sequence FCP shuts down. I can open the files using quicktime player and they are viewable but are a little choppy when played and when i try to save as or export the files quicktime player shuts down. I have tried to use several programs to convert these files into something that is playable (Visual hub, VLC, etc) but nothing I have used thus far seems to be working. I have downloaded a program called "Treasured" which claims they can fix the files for me if I upload the files to them but they are aking roughly $100 per file which in my opinion is too much to pay.

Does anyone know of any programs I can use to convert these files into something playable or if there are any places I can send the drive to where they can do this. I live in NYC, if anyone knows of a place where I could take my drive locally that would also help.

2. RatVega macrumors member

Start with Disk Warrior. In the majority of cases, the data directory gets hammered long before the actual data goes bad.

Like you, I distrust anyone that claims to be able to do what I cannot (so long as I throw money) without even seeing that I have.

Once in a while a disk simply goes bad, but when it does you won't be launching anything from it.

Don't forget all the basics like repairing permissions, running crons, and maybe even trashing your prefs.

Good luck.