How Can I Get *100% of my Data* From Old iPhone Onto New Phone???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Apr 4, 2010.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS which i am going to need to take in and have replaced because its not receiving alot of my incoming calls..

can someone please tell me how i can transfer 100% of my data from the old phone onto the new phone? i want to be sure that i do it right so that when i trade in my old phone i can still have all my data on the new one.....

i have backed up my old iphone to itunes but i was also told that this backup doesnt contain any music & apps...

so basically a backup restore would only restore contacts ???

i do not see my apps & music locally when i connect my iphone to itunes.

all of the data is currently stored on my iphone. what can i do to ensure that 100% will be available for me to transfer onto the new phone?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Do you not keep your music in iTunes on your computer as well as on the phone?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

well no......i do not.
    i clear it out of my itunes as soon as i enter it into my phone.

5. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

what about the apps themselves? will a restore save that too even if the apps are no longer in my itunes?

and as far as ur post above thats only for music purchased via itunes right?

can u or anyone else pls just provide a very easy step by step process of how i can get 100% of my data off the old iphone into the new one?

thanks

(ive not yet traded the old iphone in but i do plan on wiping the memory clean before trading it in)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You like to live on the edge, huh?! The day your battery dies (or worse) is going to be he'll for you. :)

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That is, like, an incredibly horrible idea. You've decided that your most fragile/losable/steal-able device is the best choice to keep your only copy of your music?

8. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

This does not make any sense. Your apps should transfer back to your iTunes when you sync. You'll need to use a utility (google it) that will retrieve your music library. What is your rationale for deleting it from your computer? Do you not sync it regularly?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would anyone delete their itunes library after they transfer it to their device?
    Like hard drive space isnt dirt cheap anyway nowadays?
    What if you lose your phone or your device locks up and needs a restore?
    Then you have no way of getting them back.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha I love that. I bet you like skydiving, riding a motorcycle without a helmet, and driving without a seatbelt and texting at the same time. :eek:

A little excitement in life is a good thing. :cool:

11. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

How to get your music off your phone:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer

And OP, these people aren't just picking on you—deleting your music from your computer after syncing it to the iPhone is incredibly daft. Having your only copy of your media on a portable, easily-lost, fragile device is just asking for trouble. If your computer's hard drive is too full, you can get an external hard drive bigger than the biggest iPod or iPhone for under $50. Well worth the investment.

12. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the link.

i will know better in the future and just keep the music on my computer...

ok so is this pretty much the right steps to back up 100% of my data from my phone?

is that pretty comprehensive or does any1 else have anything to add?
    also...according to the quote the quality of the pictures will not be the same as the original....is there a way to circumvent that?

13. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

14. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

One thing i forgot to ask is..

^ regarding this step...when you back up your iphone on itunes how come it doesnt back up all the photos as well?

couldnt i export all my photos from iphone into iphoto without using sharepod?

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Because the backups are designed to compliment the data that was transferred from your computer. It would make no sense for apple to write an application the copies 32 GB of data to a device then precedes to copy it all back to the the computer it come from but storing it in a backup. That would waste many GB of space on most peoples computers.

16. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

what about NEW data that was created on the iphone ? (such as pictures taken with the iphone & information stored on apps)

arent those just as important?

17. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Pictures taken, app data, SMS and all that kind of info are included in the back up. Everything created on the iPhone is stored.

18. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

really? so photos and music *are* stored in the backup? im getting contradicting info here. confused :( lol

how come it doesnt say that photos and music will be included...

[​IMG]

also if it matters in my settings ive always had "disable iphone from automatically syncing" clicked .

i do notice there is a "sync" button though

[​IMG]

if i click on "sync" will it export all my photos, music ,settings/info within apps back onto my itunes?

also i was playing around with the arrangement of how the order of my apps appear on my iphone via itunes and i saw an "apply" button appear.

[​IMG]

i clicked on apply and not only did it apply the new arrangement of apps to my iphone it started synching all of my voice memos from my iphone into my music library on itunes...? what was the reason for that? why would clicking the apply button start transfering my voice memos from my iphone to itunes...

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^^
    do you not understand the difference between camera roll pics and photos synced from your computer? ONLY camera roll pics are backed up. Also, no one ever implied or stated that music is backed up. It's not.

You clicked apply after making changes to the sync settings, so it synced. Unnderstand?

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The whole thing just seems bizarre. OP - you're telling us that everything you transfer to your phone you immediately delete off your computer? I'm not even going to start on how weird that is, but everything in your phone with the exception of Media (music, movies) is backed up when you sync your phone. For music, you'll need to get the original files again and load them onto your new phone.

*Edit - Afer re-reading this thread, it's clear the OP has no idea what backing up their phone means, and I'm not sure we can explain it to them. OP - Take your phone to the nearest Apple store (with your computer if possible) and have them walk you through it. As others have said, your backup
    WILL NOT contain your music, pictures, or movies.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wow, I hadn't read all the other posts. You're right, he does delete stuff off the computer, essentially making a future sync useless, if ever needed.

Livin' on the edge. Exciting. :p

22. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

23. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What I do, and I suspect a lot of other people.

Every night I plug my iPhone into my computer. It automatically syncs/backup.
    So, in the morning my phone is charged and a backup on my computer.

So when, as happened last year, my daughter pushes me into the pool. Salt water pool. And kills my iPhone.
    I just take the phone & $200 to the Apple store. Get a new phone. Take it home. Plug it into the computer. Answer a question or 2. Wait a bit.
    Boom , back to where I was before the pool. ... and $200 poorer.

I look at this as the value is in the data. Back it up.

24. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

So do I.
    How was the OP able to add new music before? Seems to me that the music already on the iPhone would have been wiped every time new music was added through iTunes.
    Is the iPhone jailbroken?

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What if he's manually managing music?