How can I get a 16gb Iphone for discount price if...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjbreener, Jul 3, 2008.

1. cjbreener macrumors newbie

About a month ago, I had Verizon (contract has been expired for a long time, so I'm a free agent) and was waiting to get the new iphone. But one day my boss distracted me and I spilt coffee on my phone and it fried. So I couldn't get a new verizon phone, cause I didn't want to sign an extended contract. So my friends all told me to get ATT & T now, so I can just upgrade to the iphone when it comes out. And I did that, signed a 2 year agreement. BUT now I find I am NOT eligible for an upgrade, and now I don't think I can get the 16gb iphone for a discount price. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I kinda do want to keep my number, but I refuse to pay $200 more because I'm NOT eligible, just b/c I was forced to sign up for AT & T early, just getting the free noikia phone with service. I'm at a loss here, but am going to the store today to figure this all out, since I signed up for service June 5th, and my one month trial will expire on saturday if I want to cancel. Should I cancel service and then on July 11th, resign up and get the iphone at discounted price? Will they even let me do that?! Will I have to get a new phone number then? Any help would be appreciated before I go to the store at 1pm.

thanks all!

2. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

First, you weren't FORCED to sign up with AT&T. You could have just purchased a new phone for Verizon for really cheap on Craigslist or Ebay but you chose to switch.

No big deal though don't fret.

I imagine that they will let you out of your contract because you are less than a month. The problem is that you won't have a phone for 6 days....Either way, you have 1 month to cancel with no penalty. Cancel and then go back on the 11th. If I'm not mistaken you can give any reason for canceling you want....and that includes, wanting to get an iPhone at the discount.

3. cjbreener thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, i wasn't forced, thats not what i meant. I meant that i figured that would be the best and easiest switch instead of staying with verizon. so i will do that today, cancel, i mean, but will they let me keep my number, and will they give me a hard time about re-signing up? theres no thing that says i can't resign up for like a year if i cancel, right?

4. cjbreener thread starter macrumors newbie

and i can go without a phone for 6 days, thats no biggy, although it will be tough, hahahahha.

5. animenick65 macrumors 6502

First thing you need to do is get new friends who know what they are talking about.

6. cjbreener thread starter macrumors newbie

no because at 1st, they said the price would be $200, and $300 for the 8gb and 16gb. they just released the info on retail and non-upgrade prices.

7. drb6 macrumors regular

BTW, be careful...30 days from the 5th is Friday the 4th. I don't know if AT&T's policy is a month or 30 days. Just be careful since you're cutting it so close.

I would totally cancel and get a go phone for $30 (i think thats the cheapest) so you can port your number and make sure you get to keep it. And then once the iPhone comes out, port your number again.

8. cjbreener thread starter macrumors newbie

AT & T will set me up with a go phone, or do I have to get that someplace else?

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

if I were you and wanted to keep the number you have, I would buy a used iPhone 2G and upgrade your plan now, then you will be able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G when it comes out. then you can sell the iPhone 2G to a canadien (many of them wont be buying the iphone 3G with rogers pricing:p)

10. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Cancel your plan, before its too late. You dont wanna take that chance of having to pay more money than you should. '

And btw, you need smarter friends lol

11. apb509 macrumors member

I've talked to a few AT&T reps, CSRs, even a store manager.. they all seem to think that borrowing a friends iPhone, activating an iPhone plan on my acct., and giving her back the iPhone should work. Eligibility is linked to the plan if you're going via the "own an iPhone before July 11th" route. You're friend can reactivate the phone and use it as she normally does. You might be w/o a phone for a day or two, but saving $200.

Side note: I'm not sure if you can use, say, a blackberry after you have activated the iPhone plan. Something might get screwy.. I plan on just covering my back and not using anything for two days, while keeping the iPhone plan.

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

When you give the iPhone back to the friend, they just put their sim card back in and sync with their itunes if needed. When you say reactivate their phone, that doesn't involve them signing for another 2 years, right?

13. eddydorantes141 macrumors newbie

Might be a bit late to ask...

Does the switcheroo still work? I got a blackjack II in february this year on a two year contract, but now i want a 3G iphone... Am I F*#%ed?