Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
I have been pounding my head against the wall all day trying to get this to work and hopefully some of you are able to help me out.

Since my girlfriend and I have been working from home we have been building a home office set-up. What we have is this LG 4k monitor that we are connecting our MacBook Pros to with a closed lid and this adapter with a HDMI cable. Everything works however I am stuck choosing between 60hz and a low blurry resolution or a better resolution that isn't blurry but is 30hz and super choppy. It looks like the non blurry resolutions are defined as HiDPI? That is what they're referred to as by the SwitchResX software that I downloaded. But the only resolution that I am able to pick that is both 60hz and HiDPI is 1280x720 and it makes everything look huge and is blurry being shown on a 4k screen.

Am I able to somehow pick the 2560x1440 option at 60hz with HiDPI?

My computer is the baseline 13' MacBook Pro from 2019 with Touchbar

I am not great at this and any help would be so greatly appreciated.:)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try a USBc (Mac end) to displayport (display end) cable instead of HDMI.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a Dell U2718Q 4K monitor hooked up to a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 and the second option is 2560x1440. I don't know what the frequency is. I normally run at 3008x1692. I just go into Settings - Display. This is via a Thunderbolt 2 cable (don't know whether MDP or HDMI on the other side). I'm pretty sure that my 2015 MBP 13 would run this just fine as well.

I don't know what HiDPI is.

I'd think that this would be a piece of cake with a 2019.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Try a USBc (Mac end) to displayport (display end) cable instead of HDMI.
I will try this soon. I think it may be a bandwidth problem with the cable/dongle I have. I didn't know 60hz took up so much bandwidth.

Tompettyphoto

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
I will try this soon. I think it may be a bandwidth problem with the cable/dongle I have. I didn't know 60hz took up so much bandwidth.
Just curious... did this actually work? I am having the same issue with my LG 4k monitor and planning to buy a usb-c cable to DisplayPort. Right now I can choose between 1080p retina crisp image -but image size too big-, or 1440 but in low res, which makes things look soft. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.