How can I get a genius to replace my iPhone 5 with wifi issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cscottrun, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

I have two iPhone 5's in my house, as well as two 4s's and a new iPad. Every device, including one of the iPhone 5's, has no wifi problems. My iPhone 5, however, suffers from slow and unreliable wifi. The problem is intermittent. It will be extremely fast one second, and the next, unbearably slow. I can take the other iPhone 5, or any other device and put it right next to my phone and run speedtests. My phone will go from 25-30 mbps, all the way down to 4 or 5 mbps, its all over the place. The other devices hold steady anywhere between 25-35 mbps.

My problem is, what if I cannot replicate the problem at the genius bar tomorrow. How hard will it be to get a replacement if I can't replicate the problem?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm way past that point.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It shouldn't be hard to have it replaced. I had my 4S replaced because AirPlay was dropping like crazy at home.

5. dsciel macrumors regular

if you bought it from Apple, will be so simple to replace. Just say this phone has WIFI issue and i want a replacement. Even they said no problem, you still can demand for a replacement because it's under 30 days return

6. sosinsurr macrumors regular

Agreed, it shouldn't be hard at all. I had no problem replacing my 4S twice.

7. darster Suspended

Question. Do you have your iphone 5 set to wifi sync in itunes? I did and it has started causing problems. With wifi sync on, the minute i would try that feature, my imac would disconnect from wifi while my phone stay connected. So I have turned off wifi sync in itunes, and now my DL speeds FOR IP5 match the speeds my imac gets which is 50 Mbs DL.

8. emaja macrumors 68000

Depends. I have been told that they do have iPhones reserved for replacing defective units but if they are unable to replicate it they might not consider yours defective.

You are still within your 30 days to return or exchange anyway, so hopefully they won't be difficult about it.

9. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Not that I am aware of. Is this always the message or does it change once its enabled?

Attached Files:

10. darster Suspended

You need to be connected to your wifi at home, same with computer. Then in itunes, your device listed has to have wifi sync checked.

11. iamjose macrumors regular

Take multiple screen shots with the iphone in question... I had wifi issues with my ipad 3 and I took screenshots of the speed tests and of the itunes store "trying to connect" and of tweetbot trying to load while it showed full wifi strength.