How can I get a stuck disc out of my ibook G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cadenza, Jan 17, 2011.

1. cadenza macrumors newbie

I have tried absolutely everything. I restarted and held the trackpad, I have done disc utility eject, tilted it 45 degrees, firmware eject, terminal, I stuck a piece of cardboard into the optical drive, and even tried to pull it out by sandwiching it between two credit cards. The problem is that every time I try to eject it, it makes the eject sound, moves a tiny bit out, never actually exiting the computer in the slightest way, and then makes the sound like I put a new disc in and boots it up. Also, my computer doesn't have an emergency paper clip hole, so I can't use that. It's a perfectly normal DVD that played fine, but my laptop has always had problems ejecting before (but nothing that holding the eject button couldn't solve). My warranty has run out, so if there's anyway to avoid the Apple store, I'd like to hear it.

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Also you could try switching off and leaving the machine to go stone cold, then powering up and immediately trying to eject (possibly in conjunction with the above mentioned tips & tricks).

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I have the same issue. I've had luck with the two following methods (probably mentioned in the posts above)...

Hold the macbook at about a 45 degree angle above the table top (front lifted, back on table) while pressing the eject button.

Use a single credit card under the bottom of the DVD as it tries to eject. Best is to use the CC to stop the DVD from spinning, then leaving it in place, try to eject the DVD.

Each of these often take several frustrating attempts, but i've never damaged a DVD with either of them.

Best of luck