How can I get iCal/address Book to Remind me of Birthdays on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaybar, May 31, 2009.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

Unless I am incorrect, the Birthday callendar does not seem to allow for reminders on the Mac.

If that is the case, are there other options? If it can do reminders, how do i do them?

Thanks,

Jay

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

The way that I did it was adding a reminder in iCal years ago but there should be an easier way to import birthdays as reminders in iCal. I'd suggest looking for a third party add-on. You may also be able to write an AppleScript to do it for you as well.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

First, you make sure that the person/s you want birthday reminders for are in your
    Address Book (make sure to enter their birthday info). Then in iCal, go to preferences
    and check "Show Birthday Calendar."

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

4God

I did that, but it won't give reminders. What next?

jay

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Ah, now I see what you're trying to do. Yeah, I don't have an answer for that one. Sorry.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I am not using my mac now, but I do remember that with some dates in iCal you can set a reminder. Not sure if it can be done with birthdays. Trying clicking on the date and see if it gives you options.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I Think

I'm not near my Mac at the moment but I think you can just set the Birthday as an all day event with a reminder and it will work just fine. You have several reminder options with that.

8. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

you could just make a new calendar called birthday and then create a new event. all events that way can have reminders, whether it be an email sent to your self, a pop up message or whatever

9. reubs macrumors 68000

This is what I do with bdays and anniversaries. Seems to have worked so far. Next I need to set up a script to send a canned e mail on the date, and I'll be all set!