How can I get more volume out of my iMac?

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Alright, so I just set up the Harman/Kardon Sound Sticks and plugged them into the line out/headphone port. I crank the volume on iTunes and the computer all the way and I get a normal listening volume. It's not even close to loud although it's not quiet either. How can I make the computer put out a higher volume output? Whats wrong thats making it not go louder?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
you can boost the preamp when you click on the equalizer option in itunes.

Edit: make sure your check all you connections. what do you mean by "normal listening volume"?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I may sound stupid, but couldn't you increase the volume on the sticks themselves, or do these speakers not have this function?

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Ham_man said:
I may sound stupid, but couldn't you increase the volume on the sticks themselves, or do these speakers not have this function?
You could be right, this was on H/K's faq section.

Question:
Why is my volume so low?

Answer:
The SoundSticks II have additional touch sensor volume controls on the right satellite speaker. The + and – volume control keys are located near the bottom of the speaker. When first taken from the box, the default volume setting is very low. All you need to do is increase the volume by touching the + key.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
dan-o-mac said:
You could be right, this was on H/K's faq section.

Question:
Why is my volume so low?

Answer:
The SoundSticks II have additional touch sensor volume controls on the right satellite speaker. The + and – volume control keys are located near the bottom of the speaker. When first taken from the box, the default volume setting is very low. All you need to do is increase the volume by touching the + key.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... all the way to town.

That's amazing. I didn't even notice the volume controls as normally volume controls stand out and are easily seen so I figured they didn't have any.

Wow, thats truly great! They are touch sensative too, no pushing. Thanks dan-o-mac! I could have gone years without noticeing that. THANKS! :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
The other thing is that iTunes volume control is different from OS X volume control, you can turn OS X Volume all the way up and then the iTunes all the way up and there you go.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Apple!Freak said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... all the way to town.

That's amazing. I didn't even notice the volume controls as normally volume controls stand out and are easily seen so I figured they didn't have any.

Wow, thats truly great! They are touch sensative too, no pushing. Thanks dan-o-mac! I could have gone years without noticeing that. THANKS! :)
Hahaha, you got it too! When I got my SoundSticks... I was like, "nice... but why so soft??" Then I saw the two buttons on the speaker, Bingo!

I love it all the way they fill up the room with such awesome sound. Make sure the iSub is up all the way too. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.