How can I get my 20€ back?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tomsawyer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. tomsawyer Guest

EDIT: Thread Title "How do I get my 299's worth"
    -----------------------

So heres the thing
    I bought the touch on January 14th for 299€,
    I've jailbroken it, yet it just doesn't feel right, customize to rearrange my
    icons just doesnt do it, most themes dont work out because of a missing icon or such, and after 10 mins of iphysics, blackjack or what not I got bored.
    The Iphone apps do it for me, notes & mail.
    I want the official 1.13, so I'm thinking about sending Apple a request to give me a 20€ Itunes store credit with the scanned receit.
    The shop I bought it from is a Premium Reseller, and since they have to give the shop a 20€ discount for every touch they have in stock after the 15th (me thinks) , they might aswell give it to me directly.
    Now my question is, which emailadress to write to,
    I havent found any email adress on the apple site.
    Thanks

2. ndheah macrumors regular

So you think you're special and if you mail Apple they will give you your money back? Yeah, good luck with that.

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Yeah, I dont understand why you should get your money back, and nobody else.
    Should have thought more about this.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you think it's unfair you miss out on the refund by a day, what about those that bought a Touch on the 13th? They just missed out too, what about people that bought it on the 12th? Really, don't think you should get special treatment.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You won't get anywhere with this, just shut up and pay it like the rest of us.

6. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

I've bought the thing a day before the keynote, the other Ipods, same productionweek, same specs were sold the next day for 20€ less.
    I think its worth a try, so if you would be so kind as to share with me an email adress I would greatly appreciate it.

"So you think you're special and if you mail Apple they will give you your money back? Yeah, good luck with that."

In this case they wouldnt give me any money back, only the theoretical value of the apps ;)

"You won't get anywhere with this, just shut up and pay it like the rest of us."
    Yeah it seems this whole 20$ Update has stirred up some resentment, but you dont have to throw it my way. I want an official response.

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

call them

1-800-MY-APPLE

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Euro currency symbol is a little clue that the OP isn't in the US, so that number won't work.

9. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

yupp, i'm in austria, trying to reach them right now,
    I wanted to email because I had a premium-call block which didnt allow 0800 numbers. Just talked with my provider, deactivated the block, and trying to reach the Apple.

10. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Your best bet would be to try and take it back under your "cooling off period", although this will only work if you bought it online. Most stores state that products such as ipods are not included in the return policy.

Just pay it. I wasn't happy about it, but I did it. I bought mine in December.

11. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

Buying an ipod the day before the Keynote wasn't really the smartest thing was it?

Why did you do it?

12. phytonix macrumors 6502

if you have jailbroken, that means you can put iphone apps on it urself

13. ndheah macrumors regular

Also, perhaps go to the store and say 'Hey, you just dropped the price, give me my money back'

14. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

Nope, really wasn't the best idea, and I need a cooling off period myself, I just looked at the site again and now the touch is going for 259€. 40€s instead of less than a week wait...bad tradeoff. I'll try to give it a rest and stay off impulsive acquisitions in the future.

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Actually I thought I read somewhere that if you bought after dec 27th you get the upgrade for free? Is this what you were getting at? Oh and another thing did you pay by credit card? Some cards offer price protection in case the price drops within 30 days or something.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm not sure where you may have read this, but as Jobs worded it in his Keynote, all previous owners of iPod touches can get the apps for $20, and new buyers will get them pre-installed (or a $20 discount if it comes with a previous firmware).

17. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

In that case I may have made it up. I could have read it anywhere!

18. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I think you should sell your Ipod and get a Zune. Personally, I won't consider jailbreaking my Touch and expect Apple to continue supporting me with future releases, enhancements, and general OS upgrades. I am still amazed at the furor over a $20- enhancement that adds so much value. Of course no one is making you buy the enhancements.

Thank you Apple for continuing to improve your product line...I appreciate it and love the new mail app!

19. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

"I think you should sell your Ipod and get a Zune."
    I get where you're aiming at, so let me say this

"Thank you Apple for continuing to improve your product line...I appreciate it and love the new mail app!"

this could have been quoted from my attitude towards apples products, and people/companies who innovate and facilitate in general, moreover I am willing and happily do so knowing that this provides further ressources for such people/companies to further improve.

Yet principles aside, the fact that I was charged 299€ and the day after the first customer who enters the store is offered the identical product for 279€ so that he can update for free to the newly released software, gives me the impression that I do have an argument to get this update for free aswell, since we both get the same product and both pay the same total price.

Principles and motivations aside, I'm going to call tomorrow. If not for the 20€, for a refreshing conversation. And dude, the Zune thing, that was very inspired of you.

:apple:

20. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Why thank you, dude! ;)

21. maxcady macrumors newbie

Is it really adding value if they're putting apps on that should have been there in the first place? Nope, its not. There was no good technical reason, no good product design reason, for the apps to be ommited from the original touch. When i saw the announcement I thought 'finally' and was shocked to see that they had the nerve to charge for this.

Coverflow added a lot of value to iTunes. How much did you pay for that?

AppleTV gets some major updates for free. How do you make sense of out that?

Is this update necessary for installing SDK apps? If so then, yeah, they're sort of making us purchase it if we want to put 3rd party apps on the touch.

You appreciate the opportunity to overpay for some little software apps?

The profit margin on this update must be huge considering the apps were already developed for iPhone and then just enhanced a little. The apps are delivered to ipods (via firmware update) whether you buy them or not. I don't know how many touch owners are out there but it doesn't take many for this to be nothing but profit for apple.

22. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

Maxcady, I appreciate your attitude,
    and thank you for touching upon the issue of Iphone versus Ipod touch,
    now whether they have any good justification, like they can't give that for free because of a contract with AT&T, or they have to charge because of some legislation forcing them to. I am not a apple stockholder, I am not on the board, because arguing to myself with this knowledge would be like finding excuses to justify it but not adressing the issue.

Let's say I'm a consumer without a macrumors account, and have never heard of Macworld. I however walk by on the 16th after purchasing the thing on the 14th and see that ipod touches of the same production batch are being sold for 20€'s less. I find out that the price drop is because those touches dont have the 1.13 with apps on them, so they are sold with a 20€ discount so that they can update for free. Now the little coward in my head would probably say:

"You won't get anywhere with this, just shut up and pay it like the rest of us." go on, pay that extra 20€, it's not much, don't be so cheap, I don't have the guts to stand up for what is rightfully mine, that would spoil my image, what would the guys at the counter think.

Gladly, I would have earplugs listening to music on a jailbroken touch, not hearing this bs, and I'd still give it a try, just for the sake of trying.
    "Thats the good spirit ma'boy" would another voice say at that point.
    And I'd nod and smile, and walk on into the sunset.

:apple:

23. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You could of returned it and paid the restocking fee then bought again and had the apps pre-installed. Apple can't start helping out the guys that bought it the day before and not anyone else, once you open the door they have to do it for everyone.

I'll bite.

They should have been there in the first place ? How do you think that would of made AT&T feel if they had added them from the start, how many more people would of bought an iPod touch instead of an iPhone had that been the case. Perhaps the reason they weren't there from the start was because they wanted to plit the lines more than on just a hardware front.

Correct me if I'm wrong but iTunes was always free, they didn't charge for it originally and then suddenly give you a whole load more functionality did they ?

I believe they said from the start that it would get free updates. This was the case before they sold one of them to anyone. Everyone knew the score.

Another thing to consider is the Skyhook charge. On the iPhone there is not really an additional cost for Apple as you can use the cell towers to triangulate your position. Granted the maps application actually uses Skyhook first, but on the iPod touch there is no second option, so your effectively using the location feature without paying, is that fair ?

24. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if you purchased the iPod Touch within 14 days of the keynote, you are eligible to get a price adjustment at the store. Apple has a 14 day price adjustment policy and this would fall into it-- you would get your $20 back to either buy the apps or not buy them--

25. tomsawyer thread starter Guest

That's great news. Didn't get to it yet, I'll drop by the shop tomorrow.
    I'll post once I got this settled.
    Thank you