How can I get my iPhone 3GS Replaced at the Genius Bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, May 31, 2010.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

So basically, here is my story:

Over the past few years as an iPhone customer, I have visited the Genius Bar a few times with issues related to my phone. They have been quick to replace it in earlier years (literally just take my phone, and give me a "new"/refurbished one). Each time, if I wanted it replaced, I cited issues with the phone.

Now, I have an iPhone 3GS 16 GB. Unfortunately, I dropped it and the screen is cracked. The remaining AppleCare warranty on the phone is about another month. I would like to get it replaced. Any ideas on how I could do this?

I do have a legitimate issue with the phone, but I doubt that it is worthy of replacing: Push e-mail just does not work anymore, aside from Wifi. When I'm not on Wifi, my emails no longer get pushed to my phone, and I am left constantly having to open Mail and press the re-load button.

I'm afraid that with any issue I cite, they will just blame it on the drop/cracked screen. Is it outlandish to think that they might replace a phone with a cracked screen?

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

they might replace it, but if they do, it is because the guy you're talking to is being nice. There is no issue you can have with the phone that will override the cracked screen. be prepared to pay.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yes it's outlandish to expect a new phone. Are you being serious? Drop phone, crack the screen, pay for a new screen and deal with your other issues you may have with the phone.

4. nygiants242 thread starter macrumors member

Chances of a Genius being nice = Slim to none :(

5. azsprty macrumors 6502

You shouldn't expect them to replace something you did :rolleyes:

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

So all of the other times you had your phone replaced no questions asked they weren't being nice or anything. You dropped your phone. Own it.

7. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

Its not like the Genius is going to be intentionally mean, he has procedures and protocols to follow. He could get reamed by his manager later so don't blame him.

8. rkswat macrumors regular

To Audi of American,

Hello good sir/mam. I purchased one of your fine automobiles which is still under warranty. When I had issues with the car in the past you fixed those issues under the warranty which was what you should of done. I foolishly, through my own negligence, crashed the car into a pole the other day. I cracked the front bumper and did a significant amount of damage to the car. However, I had some leaking radiator fluid before the crash. I would like to know if you will fix the damage at your expense or exchange my car for a used model seeing as it had the radiator leak before I crashed it.

Thank you,
    Unrealistic Expectations.

9. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Nice.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, but it looks like you will have to pay for it.

11. iphone529 macrumors regular

Make an apt with a Genius, explain that you just dropped it and how bummed you were, See what they can do for you. You might get lucky and get a new one.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

Main thing to try is a pleasant attitude...

Be prepared to spend the $199 on a replacement as you might ended having to, don't go in with an attitude of entitlement ... explain the problems you were having sincerely and be genuine ... you might get someone on a good day and on their discretion they could replace it ... but technically as you said, the major damage point is a cracked screen which could just mean they dismiss any claim

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

At 199, if you qualify for an upgrade, get iPhone 4 instead. Just my opinion.

14. synagence macrumors 6502a

Assuming the OP is american and as he states he owns a 3GS, unlikely to be due an upgrade unfortunately.