How can I get rid of the SEARCH screen on the IP4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by elgrecomac, Oct 20, 2010.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I scanned this board but could not find how to remove the SEARCH screen that i never use. Help is appreciated.

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

If you are referring to Spotlight Search there is an app in Cydia called NoSpot that can do this.

3. dgstan macrumors 6502a

The single greatest JB app in existence!

It is absolutely beyond me why Apple doesn't give you an option to turn this "feature" off.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

its great to see that users of iphone have such different uses of the phone.. i for one use spotlight everyday, it amazes me people hate it.. then again i know i have small tweaks that some users dont use at all... great to see we all get what we want for the most part with JB :)

6. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

7. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I keep Spotlight Search only to search my music library, it is convenient for getting to music without launching the iPod. Other than that I don't use it.

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

Just installed NoSpot - simple and effective :)
    To take this one step further - is there a Cydia app to allow for the first page only? i.e. to prevent you sliding right through pages.

I have everything on the first screen and would love it to be static, or not movable (it just springs back).

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Seeing how Apple deemed Spotlight Search so integral to the OS that it cannot be disabled and how a lot of people say they love it and use it regularly, I somehow feel that I am missing out since I cannot for the life of me think of one single use for it.

One person mentioned he searches his music library rather than scrolling through the iPod app. What else is it used for? Contacts? Emails?

I'm just curious...

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i actually turn all of my items off for spotlight other than contacts and apps. since i hide a lot of native and jb icons, its the only way to get to them.. i also use them for contacts as i feel its easier for me..

i also search by company name if i cannot remember the persons name so it works well for that as well.

11. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Spotlight has its use, if you have a large contact list, inbox, etc. it can be very nice. For me it only provides value in searching my music. Everyone is different.

12. alangrehan macrumors regular

This is where it is really useful.

Also for searching for songs... although I would like if after searching for a song it would continue to play the whole album or playlist that the song is in...

It's quite annoying that it plays the song then stops!

13. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I have so many apps that it is sometimes easier for me to search for the one I want then to try and find it.

14. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I use the spotlight search every day. I could not live without it. :)

My girlfriend even uses the spotlight search to launch a Google or Wiki search. First I did not believe my eyes. I told her she did it the wrong way, that she's supposed to launch Safari first, but actually she's faster that way. :D

15. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Yeah I've never used it. Glad I saw this haha.

A little off topic but...I noticed when I use the text message search feature it only lists recent texts within the last day or two. Is there any way to have it search all texts? I usually delete them every week so it's not a big deal about indexing or anything.

16. err404 macrumors 68020

AFAIK, NoSpot only disables the Spotlight UI. The service is required by other apps and is consequently left running.

17. tesilential macrumors regular

A thread like this is how I found use for Spotlight Search :)

When NoSpot came out for iOS4 I was so excited, then I read people saying that got use out of it. After using it, now it's pretty much the fastest way to access anything on the phone.

Let's say you want open Hipstamatic, which is on springboard page 2 in the photography folder. Rather than sliding over, opening the folder, and tapping the app, you can simply swipe right, type "h" and hipstamatic will appear on a short list, tap.

Now I use it for searching contacts, apps, and simply googling.

If you know the name of the app you are going to open and it's not on the dock or page 1, it's always quicker to use spotlight.

18. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The only time I used spotlight was to launch apps that I had hidden, like Firewal IP or 3G unrestrictor. Then I got nospot and put those apps in my SBSettings dock.

19. Vbp6us macrumors newbie

Thanks to the OP and all the people that replied with "NoSpot." I don't know why I didn't ask this question considering I kinda hate the Spot search. Needless to say, I installed it and I'm loving it.