How can I have a OS copy just for myself(I think that's legal)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by feyn-man, Nov 13, 2007.

1. feyn-man macrumors regular

For example, when 10.5.1 is released how can I burn a DVD including a 10.5.1 system?
    So that I don't have to spend so much time to update under poor network connection when I reinstall the system next time.

Just used by myself, and I already buy a leopard. That will not be illegal, right?

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The best way to go about doing this would be to download the standalone updater for 10.5.1 and burn it to a CD or copy to some hard drive.

If you go to Linkety you'll see the downloadable updaters; those are the ones you want.

Yes, it is legal, because you'll be downloading and backing up the updater, not downloading and backing up a system. (You could just buy an external hard drive and clone your system after updating, which would also be legal, but that's a different thread)

3. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

But I really want to have a totally 10.5.1 install DVD. Not a 10.5 install +10.5.1 update. Is that illegal?

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I doubt that it is illeagal actually...

What you could do is do a clean install of 10.5 then install just the update and then clone the drive and archive it on a DVD...then you would have a "cloned 10.5.1 DVD" not exactly an install DVD but something close enough...

5. russell.h macrumors regular

Regardless of legality (it is most likely not illegal, but probably a violation of the license agreement), I'm not sure that its technically feasible. I know there is a process with Windows XP that you can go through to take a Windows XP (original, with no service packs) disc plus the service pack 2 installer to create a windows xp sp2 installer disc, and there is likely a way to do the same with Leopard, but since 10.5.1 isn't even out yet I seriously doubt you are going to find instructions for doing so.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

There will be no such thing as a 10.5.1 DVD full installer. Apple only releases DVDs for new OS releases (like 10.4.0 and 10.5.0) and then may reissue a DVD at some point if they feel it is necessary.

For example, they issued a new Tiger installer DVD for 10.4.2 or 10.4.3 because there were significant fixes in the updates between 10.4.0 and 10.4.2 or 3. They may do the same for Leopard, but certainly not in 10.5.1 and not unless they feel that customers would have a difficult time upgrading from 10.5.0 to the latest version using Software Update.

7. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I understand what you said. I just want to know when apple issue such a install-DVD like 10.5.6 or some other, whatever, does I have some method to burn such a DVD as a leopard legal user?

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Basically, no and yes.

That is, it's almost certainly not illegal, but there hasn't been any known way to actually do it with past versions of the OS, and Leopard will probably be the same.

If you figure out a way to do it (other than just copying an Apple-released disc), I'm sure others would be happy to hear about it. Most likely, though, you're just going to have to do it "the hard way".

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-Zir4; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

I don't believe there is a way to slipstream an OS X install disc. At some point the pressed DVDs will have 10.5.x on them; my Tiger disc was 10.4.5 but there is no way that I know of to trade media in for updated discs.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Seems I was wrong!
    Linkety
    Although it is a very complex process, you can do it if you really want to.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Really the best thing to do is put all the updates you need on a CD so that they can be re-added easily after reinstalling, but right now if you went out and bought 10.5 you would still only get 10.5.0 and have to install the upgrades. Apple hasn't and probably won't be producing 10.5.1 discs. They may end up producing disks for 10.5.2 or 5.3 somewhere down the line once the updates are further apart, but you won't be able to create that yourself.

12. mcnaugha macrumors member

mcnaugha

System Image Utility 10.5.x

System Image Utility should allow you to make a slip-streamed installer quite easily. You make like you're making a NetInstall. You can restore Leopard NetInstall onto any partition (on say an external FireWire drive) and install from that. Having said that, you'd need some advanced skills to update the base OS on the NetInstall image. Essentially you might not be able to use this slipstreamed installer on newer hardware launched after 10.5.

It's ironic somebody said Apple won't do a 10.5.1 full install. They just did. We now need to find out what the hell was wrong with the 10.5 install.

13. akadmon macrumors 68010

Let me get this straight -- will it or will it not be possible to upgrade 10.5.1 to 10.5.7 (actually, anything higher than 10.5.2) without first installing each intermediate update in succession? If the answer is "yes, it will be possible", then I don't understand why the OP is so hell bent of having a slipstreamed install disk. Just reinstall the OS from the original disk and then run system update once to update to 10.5.X. Of course, this assumes that the updates are cumulative, not incremental. Are they?

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are two versions that you can download from apples site. Combo and delta. The delta updates are incremental versions i.e has to be installed on 10.5.x-1. While the combo update is cumulative i.e can be installed on any previous version of 10.5

However the OP wants a version that he doesn't have to download again (probably because of slow internet.)

15. mcnaugha macrumors member

mcnaugha

It's called laziness I think. :D

Nah, it's really convenient to just hit install once and have everything go in at once instead of multiple updates. It's also good fun for geeks to challenge themselves to build slipstream installers.

I for one work in the I.T. industry and a lot with Enterprises and any time-savers are a huge boon.

16. akadmon macrumors 68010

Thanks, that explains it. I've never downloaded a combo version, so wasn't aware of the difference.

Given what you say above, there is no need to create a slipstreamed DVD. All he has to do is save a combo update some place (a CD or an external drive) and just apply it. This will take the same amount of time (actually less) than creating a slipstreamed DVD from a combo update that he has to download in any case.

But if the OP is looking for a technical challenge, well, that's understandable :)