How can I make a certain number of songs only show up in a playlist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guitarman1400, Jun 17, 2010.

1. guitarman1400 macrumors newbie

I have about a hundred "songs" of comedians telling jokes. The trouble is that these comedians get mixed up in my songs and whenever I shuffle through i always run into one of these comedians.

Is it possible to only have a certain group of "songs" stay in a playlist, away from the full list of songs?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Highlight all the tracks you want, then File > New Playlist from Selection (or Shift+Command+N)

Or just create a new playlist (File > New Playlist (or Command+N)) and drag tracks to it

3. guitarman1400 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize that, but that doesn't solve my problem.

I already have a playlist of it, but I only want the songs to play in that playlist, not anywhere else like the songs.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to play other songs, but not those, you can either create a playlist that doesn't include those songs, or you can uncheck those songs until you're ready to play them.

If you have the Genre for those tracks set to "Humor", for example, you can create a Smart Playlist that doesn't include those tracks and doesn't include anything unchecked:
    Picture 1.jpg

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I believe there is a relatively new checkbox option somewhere in Get Info (Options, perhaps? I'm not at home right now) that says "Skip this track when shuffling". Try that out.

If that doesn't work, try changing the Media Kind on the Options Tab in Get Info to Podcast. This will make iTunes think it's not music. A side benefit is that, if you're listening to a long comedy performance and interrupt it to do something else, it'll pick up where you left off when you come back to it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, that's another option, but only if you're shuffling. Doesn't help if you're playing music album by album.

Get Info > Options > Skip when shuffling

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

That's when OP has the problem . . .

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I realize that. I mentioned that because the other solutions will work even when not shuffling, as will be the case with some who visit this thread.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Let's try a different tactic.

Highlight the "songs" in question, select Get Info, go to the Options "tab" and change the Media Kind to Podcast.

This does two things:
    1. Removes the entries from the Music portion of the Library entirely. When you want to play your stand-up comedy, you switch to Podcasts.
    2. As an added bonus, remembers the point in the bit/routine/comedy show where you last left off, if desired. This is really helpful for stand-up concerts.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I already mentioned this, didn't I? Oh well, bears repeating, and I hope the OP revisits the thread and finds a workable solution...