How can I make scheduled backups of an external drive on to another external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by idyll, Jan 17, 2014.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

I want to schedule a daily backup of one external hard drive on to another external drive. The app "Carbon Copy Cloner" looks like it does what I need with their "Incremental Backup" feature and scheduling. Are there any other alternatives, possibly free ones?

2. simsaladimbamba

CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion), the free version, does what you need. SuperDuper! is the other alternative, but it is still not free.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. bakechad macrumors member

Rsync in a cronjob

Something like this:

Code:
    rsync -av --delete /path_of_source_drive_root_directory/ /path_of_second_drive/
    type 'man rsync' for entire syntax

'man crontab' for crontab syntax

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I use rsync for that too, in a simple script that launchd starts for me daily. (launchd / launchctl is the preferred method over cron, according to the launchd man page.) Works great and it's free!

It's not hard, however I can understand that not everyone wants to piddle around looking up arcane options on a man page...

6. blue-fireball macrumors member

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Chronosync will also do it, but it's pricey IMO