Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How Can I Prevent MacOS from ever backing up my iPhone ever again? (Takes up PRECIOUS Gigabytes) ((MobileSync))

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I connected my iPhone to my Mac a week so to sync my music and thought nothing else of it.

Then later this week my Mac shows that out of 128GB's I only have 15GB's remaining which is odd since I usually strive to keep at least 50GB's free on my rMBP at all times.

Using Daisy Disk I quickly discover the culprit and see MacOS did a backup. At least that's what I think considering DaisyDisk states 35GB's are now being taken up by 'MobileSync'

My question here to anyone knowledgeable is:

1) How do I get rid of this 35GB 'MobileSync' backup?
2) How can I prevent this from ever happening again?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
See if this helps:

I appreciate the link but this only shows me how To delete backups. seems like apple is forcing anyone that connects their iPhone to their Mac to backup their phone without consent. very upsetting.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
I appreciate the link but this only shows me how To delete backups. seems like apple is forcing anyone that connects their iPhone to their Mac to backup their phone without consent. very upsetting.

You delete backups to recover the storage space. There should be the option Automatically sync when this iPhone is connect that you would uncheck to disable.

Comment

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You delete backups to recover the storage space. There should be the option Automatically sync when this iPhone is connect that you would uncheck to disable.

the ‘automatically sync when this iphone is connected’ is already unchecked on my MBP. All I want to do is add photos to my iPhone.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.