How can I print in 10.7 w/o wasting all my ink?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uRabbit, Apr 4, 2012.

1. uRabbit macrumors member

Since getting our new iMac w/ 10.7, our printer has not been the same...

For some reason, when attempting to print in fast draft, it will not print everything. For instance, from Google Maps or Mapquest, it will only printer the images and borders. Same with everything else. Only borders, no text. I printed a return label, and it printed only the barcode - no address, no RMA number.

Now... If I switch that to 'Plain Paper, Best' it works. However, this absolutely destroys our ink supply, as you can imagine.

BTW, I have attempted using http://localhost:631/ to change the default settings. It does not change the default settings, no matter what I do. *shrug*

-- HP Photosmart C4640 --

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you check if there's an updated Lion driver for the printer?

3. uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

This may not be isolated to Lion after all. It is doing the same in Windows 7.

And yes, I have.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You should check the PPD for that printer file in /etc/cups/ppd to see if the default actually is set to "fast". The oddities you described may still occur if you can get the default to "stick".

Alternately, you might try installing the 10.6 driver and software from HP.

I've seen one HP All-in-one work with it in Lion. The Lion drivers, via Apple, didn't install the HP Scan software and scanning was relegated to the included Mac software which didn't have the functionality of the old HP software.

The software includes an uninstaller, in case you run into problems.

5. uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

Hmm...

Interesting...

I'll go look for that HP software.