How can I remove a specific network from the list of airport networks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jul 16, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

When I click the Airport Networks icon in the menu bar (top right), my airport detects all the available networks. It lists some networks which are not mine and don't even require a password. Is there some way to remove these specific networks from the list, and so they don't get detected again? (I don't want to click by mistake a network that's not mine)

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even if you remove a network from your preferred list, it will still detect any available networks, whether you've joined them or not. You just have to be careful when selecting your network. You can rename your network so it's easy to spot in the list.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was indeed able to join another's network. Now I'm back to mine, everything should be safe now, right?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's nothing wrong with doing that right? I was just testing.

Also, I can't get hacked just by visiting another network and switching back to mine?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, my main concern was that by visiting a foreign network, they can somehow obtain my IP address. But by visiting such a network my IP would be different from the one in my main network.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your IP address is publicly available. It takes much more than having an IP address to hack a computer. The chances of an average user being hacked are extremely small.

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's great to know that!

What I did do is remove the name of that network so it doesn't ever try to connect to it again.(after resuming from sleep if no other networks are available for example) by going to "Open Network Preferences" , "Advanced" and removing the network from the "Airport" tab.