Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Hi Guys, i have a 3.1.3 3GS iPhone and i want to Remove the Jailbreak since i still want my warranty and 4.0 Offers me everything i ever wanted, what are the steps to delete the whole jailbreak without leaving any trace of it?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi Guys, i have a 3.1.3 3GS iPhone and i want to Remove the Jailbreak since i still want my warranty and 4.0 Offers me everything i ever wanted, what are the steps to delete the whole jailbreak without leaving any trace of it?

When the new 4.0 firmware is released, upgrade to it and choose "set up as new" not restore to backup.

That will do it.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
When the new 4.0 firmware is released, upgrade to it and choose "set up as new" not restore to backup.

That will do it.
sonds easy, but I've never seen the "Set up as new" button

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
sonds easy, but I've never seen the "Set up as new" button

It comes up as an option on iTunes screen after the firmware is done loading onto the phone.

Attachments

• itunes-set-up-iphone.png
    itunes-set-up-iphone.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 105

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
If you set up as new, do you lose any information like contacts, emails etc?

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
If you set up as new, do you lose any information like contacts, emails etc?

well you loose them when you restore. Set up as new means that your phone won't be set up with your personal settings and information.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
well you loose them when you restore. Set up as new means that your phone won't be set up with your personal settings and information.

But if you sync all your stuff before you upgrade, (contacts, apps, music, photos), you just sync them back after the restore, even if you choose set up as new.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
But if you sync all your stuff before you upgrade, (contacts, apps, music, photos), you just sync them back after the restore, even if you choose set up as new.

Thought this was just common sense :p
i, like you don't ever need to restore from backup because of those features

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
Thought this was just common sense :p
i, like you don't ever need to restore from backup because of those features

true, but does restore from backup maintain existing SMS/MMS messages? that's about the only thing i think you'd lose by restoring as new as long as everything else was sync'd to the computer.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
true, but does restore from backup maintain existing SMS/MMS messages? that's about the only thing i think you'd lose by restoring as new as long as everything else was sync'd to the computer.

"Restore from backup" brings back everything. In other words: Apps, Camera Roll, SMS/MMS, Email, Settings, Networks, Contacts.....yadda yadda.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.