How can I remove Notification Center from the menu bar?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Arcade, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Arcade macrumors 6502

Arcade

Hello,

I did some searches on google but the steps I found to remove Notification Center from the menu bar either doesn't work or it's for High Sierra.

Does anyone know or have removed Notification Center from the menu bar in Mojave?

2. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Bartender for macOS (link:https://www.macbartender.com) is a $15 utility to manage the MenuBar... allows you to show/hide menu bar icons... They just released a "test" version that is targeted at Catalina... but works with Mojave... and the newest "test" version will hide the Notification Center.

Bartender will give you a 4 week trial during which you can try it (including the "test" version) for yourself. I've been using Bartender for over 6 years now, and love it...

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.21.00 PM.png

3. bogdanw macrumors regular

bogdanw

This works in Mojave:
    - disable Notification Center
    Code:
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

killall NotificationCenter
    - enable Notification Center
    Code:
    launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
    From https://gist.github.com/mikermcneil/10005651

4. Arcade thread starter macrumors 6502

Arcade

Thank you both for the replies.

@bogdanw

I'm not using bartender because I don't have that many items in the menu bar. I plan on installing it in the future when I have more things in the menu bar.

@dwfaust

I've seen that code but I read that Notification Center disappears from the menu bar but you can still click on it. I want to remove it and all the items move the right.

5. bogdanw macrumors regular

bogdanw

You can try to hide it by editing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
    As Siri is hidden, I have <key>NSStatusItem Visible Siri</key> <false/>
    You can try something like
    Code:
    /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'NSStatusItem Visible NotificationCenter' bool FALSE" ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
    or
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.systemuiserver 'NSStatusItem Visible NotificationCenter' -bool FALSE
    and killall SystemUIServer

6. Arcade thread starter macrumors 6502

Arcade