How Can I Resize Volumes Partitions with Disk Utility Under Snow Leopard 10.6 10A432?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbraun, Sep 4, 2009.

1. busterbraun macrumors newbie

I recently replaced Leopard 10.5 with a clean installation (not an upgrade) of Snow Leopard 10A432 (SL) on my Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook (aluminum, 2GB RAM).

Under Leopard 10.5 I was able to use Disk Utility (DU) to dynamically re-size existing volumes on USB hard drives. But under SL I am unable to do so. While I am able to replace all existing partitions on a USB drive with a new set of partitions and resize them prior to their creation by dragging the slider bars, once created, DU will not let me dynamically resize the new partitions. Doing so was easy with DU under 10.5. For example, after I re-partitioned a USB drive with DU under SL and created 2 partitions, I was able to make the top partition smaller by dragging the bottom edge upward from the lower right corner, but there seems to be no way (and no slider bars) to adjust the size of the lower partition to use the space freed by having made the upper partition smaller. In fact, although the upper partition reports a smaller size, when clicked on, the border around the upper partition still includes the range defined by its initial, larger size. There also seems to be now way (no slider bars) at the top edge of partitions that would allow them to be expanded/contracted from the top down.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Any thoughts/suggestions as to how to resolve them? Are these known issues? I have searched but not come across it as yet.

Thanks!

2. Mikooster macrumors newbie

I also noticed this.

It used to be easy to adjust partition sizes in Leopard by dragging the separator between them. I can't figure out how to do this under SL either...

3. smearedblue macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. deleted one partition of three, and it only allows me to give that extra space to the top partition and not the bottom one that I want!

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

5. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have the same problem too!
    One year later from discovering it, still no solution?
    I cannot believe it!

6. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is there any third-party application to resize partitions in snow leopard?