iPhone How can I revert to iOS 7.1.2 with all my files?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Wowzera, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have upgraded to iOS 8 GM, but I was having some wifi problems and didn't like to lose my jailbreak at all.

I tried restoring back to iOS 7.1.2, but every time I try to restore my backup (whose I did with all my files) itunes prompt me an error telling that I can't restore the backup because the lower version of the iOS (7.1.2).

So, let me ask you: Is there a way to revert back to iOS 7.1.2 using my backup?

All I want is my whatsapp history (I can't restore from iCloud backup on iOS 7.1.2 too), messages history and all my photos!

Any help?

Thanks anyway!

2. wannabepcuser macrumors member

You have to have a backup of 7.1.2. You could not have let iTunes integrate 8.0 into that backup.

I too am giving 8.0 a try, but I copied the 7.1.2 backup files and put them aside so I could restore back to 7.1.2 this week if necessary.

3. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19660302#post19660302

It is possible. Check it out on my thread, here.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

This was why I made a separate iTunes backup in case I wanted to go back to 7.1.2. Yes I'd loose anything from this past week, but at least have option to go back to 7.1.2 since my current icloud backup is 8 only now.

5. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still have the iOS 7.1.2 backup, but it's from 09/09. The photos I think I can get back, using iFunbox or even importing them into the DCMI folder. The biggest problem is the WhatsApp history, I can't restore them.
    I reverted back to iOS 8 and all my files are there, but I still can't downgrade and maintain my WhatsApp chat history :(

6. sohaloh macrumors regular

Doesn't Whatsapp have its own backup separate from iCloud backup? It stores the messages in iCloud documents. When I set up as new as soon as I opened my Whatsapp app and entered my phone number it prompted me to restore from that backup. Go into the Whatsapp settings and see in there.

7. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not possible if you did an iCloud backup in iOS 8 :( It may be incompatible, since it still is stored in iCloud but doesn't appear in WhatsApp.

8. sohaloh macrumors regular

I'll tell you a way you can have all your messages but just not on your phone. Reinstall GM and restore from backup and then email yourself all the threads. They'll stay in your inbox with all the media. You can start fresh with iOS 7 and will have a copy. But dude ios 8 isn't bad. I've been using it and it's fine. Let the apps update and for a point update. It will become better with all the new features specially if you have an iPhone 5s

9. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggest problem with iOS 8 is that the wifi is soon slows while using instagram, facebook and whatsapp. Mobile data works fine!
    This is why I am reverting back to 7.1.2