How can I share the hard drive connected to Airport Extreme with other family members

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beaner454, Mar 10, 2009.

1. beaner454 macrumors regular

OK so here is the issue. I have an airport extreme with a 1tb drive connected to it that my entire family connects to (4 people).

I installed the latest AirPort driver that allows the hard drive to be accessed over the internet which works great.

The problem is that it obviously only works with my user account since I linked it with my MobileMe user name. Is there any way to allow my other family members access to the drive over the internet, short of them going into MobileMe in system preferences and logging in as my MobileMe account?

I'm guessing that there is no standard Apple certified method, so I'm clearly open to any creative hack-ish methods to fix this problem as well.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

There's an option to share the HDD over WAN in AirPort Utility in the Disks tab. I believe it allows you to connect to the HDD via AFP using your external IP address. Do a search on it and see what you can come up with. I haven't tried this myself so I can't provide any information, sorry.